Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th March 2014, 03:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Omnidirectional: Hoping to be Pointed Towards Some Articles/Research/Design Guides

I am wondering if anyone would be kind enough to point me towards some good research, design guides, proven designs, or articles concerning omnidirectional speaker design? I know very little about this as I usually mess with 2 way horn based speakers (SEOS), but have been imagining some pretty wild design ideas for surround speakers and indoor/outdoor background music models made to act as side tables, etc... using: up firing waveguides *Oblate Sphereoid, maybe?*, possible synergy horns with or without a diffuser, and perhaps some others. I've researched using down firing subs in a side table in the past, and have determined that it would be very doable, this is just a next step. I have no real concrete design goals, so crazy ideas are most welcome. I'm just trying to have some fun - btw, discovering Duevel speakers the other day hasn't helped with this recent obsession.

Why? I don't really know what I expect to get out of this, but it may end up being fun and educational, and if it sounds like crap, who cares - I'll use the drivers somewhere else.

Where I've looked: Basic Google searches give very little, and neither Geddes nor Toole have much in their books about this topic. I read the little bit on Linkwitz's website, but his design goals are different than mine. I am not an AES member, and would prefer not to pay for their articles unless that's all I can find. I am a SMPTE member and have been browsing their e-library, but found nothing so far.

Thanks.

Last edited by alexwgoody; 25th March 2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 25th March 2014, 03:43 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You might like these: PLUTO-2.1 omni-directional loudspeaker
Old 25th March 2014, 03:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

...omni...
You have, often if not all the times, recordings that made a caption of the soundfield from a specific point, in front of the executioner (s).
Why would you want to spread it all over the space ?
Old 25th March 2014, 04:18 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

@Picowallspeaker, I understand why some don't like the idea of omni speakers as mains, but I think my needs for it would be interesting. I rent my home, and really have no great method for playing background music around the house other than using my main system - I can't use in ceiling speakers. Omnis, in my opinion, can look very good (no WAF, but aesthetics matter), and would be a better option than in ceiling speakers anyway, especially if they can be hidden and made to look like modern end tables. Ideally, they would be coupled with IB subs all over the place, but this is currently an unrealistic dream. I could also theoretically scale them down like mirage speakers and put them into an enclosure that could fit on a counter top or some other place where space and coverage are at a premium. My friends use bluetooth docks for this, I think my way would be a lot more interesting and fun.

I'm also interested in emulating some of the ideas in the "Help me design a speaker that my wife will let me build!" thread. Not all builds have to be for the express purpose of highest sound quality in a dedicated system, I like to realize my crazy ideas and make something fun and cool.

Last edited by alexwgoody; 25th March 2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 25th March 2014, 04:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The inspiration:

Sirius-Opener.jpg

combined with:

images.jpg
Old 25th March 2014, 04:39 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

here is some old JBL info

AQUARIUS
Old 25th March 2014, 04:41 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I'm experimenting with omnis here

OB "omni" experiment
Old 25th March 2014, 04:50 PM   #8
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
diyAudio Member

I did an omni a few years back. But it had to be kept about 4ft or more fr walls or reflection nulls and peaks added toouch coloratiom yhat varied all over the room. The box you show looks like it might have those problems built in.
Old 25th March 2014, 07:14 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaslo View Post
I did an omni a few years back. But it had to be kept about 4ft or more fr walls or reflection nulls and peaks added toouch coloratiom yhat varied all over the room. The box you show looks like it might have those problems built in.
Thank you for your experience, but do you happen to have an idea of some areas where I can research omni design theory such that I can take your experiences into account in my build? Do you think the box has this problem because of where I would place it (as an end table, likely next to to a couch) or for some other reason? How do you think using a diffraction cone and or a lens focusing sound away from the couch might help with this?

Last edited by alexwgoody; 25th March 2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 25th March 2014, 07:41 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

not a full omni, but in practise acheives much the same.

microTower bipolar ML-TL for CHR-70 or EL70

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!