Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th March 2014, 02:48 PM   #1
polop1 is offline polop1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Flexible use speakers

Hello there all,

So I am in a quandary at the moment, I am getting that hunger for another speaker project that I am sure you all are familiar with, and I am battling with the set of compromises that I am faced with. So here is my situation:

Up till now I have been using some portable speakers as my 'main' speakers in my office. They are home made, based on the Monacor sp60/4 and some vifa helper tweeters. These speakers are optimised for low power and compactness, they fold down to half their volume - for transport in a rucksack. The issue as you can imagine is that I want MOAR!

Though that is not to say I want to move away from the portable aspect entirely, I just want to switch the main goal; rather than portable speakers that I use at home sometimes, I would like some speakers that I use at home but can move somewhat easily if a summer BBQ breaks out.

I have considered the Boominator designs, especially the smaller ones. Though these are definitely 'outside first' speakers, pointing tweeters backwards inside sounds like the wrong idea IMO.

My current plan is to modify some MTM designs and have 2 distinct setups for the system 'inside mode' and 'outside mode'. Inside mode should be like a monitor setup, tuning parameters should maximise extension as I cannot use a sub and still want full sound. In this mode it does not need to have large number of dBs, as I live in a flat and do not want to disturb the neighbors.

Outside mode would plug the port if there is one and change the eq to remove <100hz to save power and give room for more dBs. Also the mechanical design would have clips to join the units to the the amplifier block to make it more of a boombox unit.

So what I would really like from you guys is some recommendations of some MTM speakers (or others if you think I am wrong), that can be abused in eq to give large extension at low dB, then can be plugged and eqed in a medium extension high dB fashion.

I should be capable of working out the amplifier side of things. I plan on designing a dsp board this summer at any rate. Let me know your opinions please! looking forward to hearing from you all.
Old 25th March 2014, 03:09 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I looked at the Boominator, the project is on the track of mobile use and durability of the battery pack, so using high efficiency ( class D or T ) amplifiers and mid-hi efficiency drivers. The Monacor and similars have much lower efficiency. Doubling for an MTM or MMT usually with two 8Ω woofers brings the nominal load to half, so 4Ω. The amplifier would then outsource more power.
Old 25th March 2014, 03:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have no particular need to use the monacor drivers in the new design, though I can see what you are saying, MTM makes the load easier to drive, which for the outside mode, and the bass extension inside is a good benefit. I will be using a class D amplifier for efficiency when outside. Power will be dual, batteries and mains input. I use these batteries for most of my projects, with a low voltage alarm circuit and balance charger, for me that is all the battery robustness that I need.

Turnigy 5000mAh 4S1P 14.8v 20C hardcase pack
Old 25th March 2014, 04:13 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I don't suggest to go with the mid-hi efficiency route because the speakers might be difficult to set right, i.e. rising response; but the evident +6 dB achieved by pro drivers
with the same power probably is what you seek. A set with two (one per channel, as I don't like double driver arrangement, but that's me...) 6.5" mids ( in pro-segment a 8" is a mid ! )
and a bullet piezo tweeter, and a 8" car-audio-cheap subwoofer...something like a Pc-gamer on steroids !

Last edited by picowallspeaker; 25th March 2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 25th March 2014, 05:00 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The problem with pro drivers in general (as far as I am aware) is that they typically have less ability to extend to the lower octaves than an equivalent home audio driver. I want to have all the tradeoffs where possible to aim at the 'home audio first - portable second' direction. Therefore things like efficiency, are not hugely important to me; I cannot play music loud where I live and most of the time they will be driven with the mains, so efficiency is moot I think.

In a more practical terms we could discuss this question: what speaker design would deliver the most bandwidth at low listening volumes, and be lets say less than 30*20*25cm in size? (per side)

Then the portable stuff can be an after thought, basically a different eq setting to remove the bass. To give some perspective most of what I mean by portable: changing location easily around the house into a garden ect. Maybe to the beach occasionally. These are unlikely to ever be put to boominator-esque outdoor parties.
Old 25th March 2014, 05:14 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Something like this is what I am thinking at the moment. A wedged on its side MTM. I apologise for the terrible drawings, no time for CAD at the moment. Modifying the shape of this design maybe https://www.parts-express.com/projec...ject-dr-ks-mtm

Last edited by polop1; 25th March 2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 25th March 2014, 05:43 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Sorry but...cutting bass in externals is such an oxymoron !
Outside is where LOUD bass is GOOD because the wavelenghts involved meet no boundary in the vicinity so there are no "first reflections" associated
I understand that it's just for having longer battery life...but MUSIC without
any single minuscule part isn't music yet.

In my very first reply I was thinking something like F.A.S.T., so the same SP60 with a helper woofer to be switched on and off...hmmm, bad idea
Old 25th March 2014, 05:56 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

well bass bellow around 90Hz dissipates easily outside, hence the boominators bumped response to feign bass bellow that. So when I say cut bass I mean to say cut the low bass and instead put the power into the upper bass,like the boominator. Though like I said these should be considered home speakers rather than outside ones. I will just add a battery; a carry handle and change the digital crossover to reflect the needs of outside. The design that I linked from parts express interests me greatly. The way that it is crossed low, uses bigger than normal woofers seems right up my ally. Are there any designs that are like this but have more DIY footfall?

Edit:
This link below gives good reasons why sideways may not be the best, though this is the way that they would fit best onto my desk. Horizontal space is a little limited lol, so putting the speakers under things is quite attractive.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=89614

Last edited by polop1; 25th March 2014 at 06:14 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!