FE208E Sigma as midrange driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I made similar posts in the past, and looking for further help.

In my "speaker in the wall project " I am now considering a Fostex FE208E Sigma driver as a midrange driver in a sealed enclosure + separate woofers, Scan-Speak 25W/8565 (also in sealed enclosures). At first, I thought better to use the FE208 without any XO. The FE208 in a (Q=0.6) sealed enclosure starts to roll-off at around 150-200Hz. The woofers will have active XO that takes over at around 150-200Hz accordingly.

However, considering that the "job" for the FE208 will in any way be midrange - I am now thinking whether some kind of simple passive Highpass XO for the FE208 would be a good idea or not. Purpose would be to limit cone excursion and to make the roll-off steeper.

Do you have any recommendation of simple XO circuit configuration that would not mess-up too much. I have no experience in this area (which was one of reasons why full-range drivers appealed to me in the first place)

Or, should I go without XO for the FE208E - what do you think ?

By the way, for the woofer, I plan to use a Behringer 24dB/Oct active filter. I will also add a supertweeter to assist the FE208 above 10,000Hz.

Logically a 24dB/Oct filter for the woofer and no filter for the midranger is not really good combination-is it?. But, I have been playing with some speaker software and it seems that "FE208 in a 6L enclosure" drops very steeply in my room under 150Hz and that is why I hope that it could be combined with a varable 24dB filter for the woofer. Any passive XO for the FE208 will of course make the roll-off even steeper.

Anyhow, should I go for passive xO for the FE208 - and if so, any recommendations?

Many thanks in advance

LageB

What I was hoping, was that a single cap as a highpass XO could used for the "midranger". I will use a single cap for the supertweeter which is a common solution XO tweeters to "fullrange" drivers. However, I have never seen such "simple" XO being used on low frequences. I would like to highpass the FE208e at around 140Hz. Is it possible ? If so, what cap should I use ?

LageB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.