Bypassing the coil in a box??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I should have thought of this before I finished the speakers LOL
With the new 2.5-Way speakers I have a single large inductor in series with the woofer but because we want to Bi-Amp these to use in the lounge room rather than the bedroom I need to by-pass the coil. I'd rather bypass than remove as it makes the speaker more versatile for future use.
I haven't really thought this through so has anyone else done this and could give me a few pointers?
Coil is ~10mH and 0.56R so I think I am going to need some big wire in the bypass and a simple single pole HD on/off switch or is there a better way?
Dual post terminal block is already in place of course

too fancy, my LP inductors are sitting on top of the box, connected with electricians screw terminals....:) ...just enjoying the music too much (& too lazy) to get to the next stage... (you know that as soon as you seal up the enclosures, you'll think of another use for those inductors...)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Thanks Pete but that REALLY doesn't help much LOL
Luckily if I do think of another use they are glued to a section of ply and the ply is held in place with a single brass screw
WAF again, I have no objection to outboard XOs, the Boss os even objecting to the Trio L-07s sitting on the floor

I'm not too sure what you are doing with the bi-amping. I bi-amp using one amp for the TM section and one amp for the 0.5W. You still need a LP filter for the 0.5 woofer unless of course it's going active. You can always by-pass the active xo to still use the inductor.

For a switch, I've used Altronics S3188 for this purpose and connect with inductor wire.
Altronics - S3188 SPST Round Rocker Switch

You could always add another terminal for this purpose and have done that on FR speakers to have BSC or no BSC.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Moondog, how often are you likely to want to change it? If it were me I'd just pull the driver out and desolder it and solder the speaker leads direct to the terminal, if I wanted to add it back in I'd reverse the procedure ;)

If you do go the switch route, I'd use a DPDT switch and switch BOTH ends of the coil (have a shunt wire on the other side of the switch).

Tony.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Coil is ~10mH and 0.56R so I think I am going to need some big wire in the bypass and a simple single pole HD on/off switch or is there a better way?
Dual post terminal block is already in place of course

Whoopsie
My mistake wrong coil It's actually 8.2mH

So if I bypass the coil with a very low resistance wire some current is still going to flow thru the inductor, What effect [ if any audible] will there be?

I can get this done in about 5 minutes after I get the switches; it isn't a big job

Yes Rabbitz I've read about that speaker and seen the pix

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Moondog, this was what I had in mind. I couldn't find a DPDT switch symbol so used a relay symbol. The drawing I did on the train on the way home was too embarassing to upload ;)

The reason I suggested this was for what you mention above, it *completely* takes the coil out of circuit :)

Tony.

Attachments

• bypass.png
    bypass.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 36
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.