My latest drivers have arrived... what a bargain! SB Acoustics SB15NRXC30-8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th March 2014, 07:25 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default My latest drivers have arrived... what a bargain! SB Acoustics SB15NRXC30-8

As the title says and just thought I should share, these arrived today form falcon acoustics, who currently have them on offer for just £25.07 inc VAT, considering zaph reviewed them as 'built more like a $200 driver' and 'near scan-speak distortion levels' I'm very excited about using them.

I've plugged them in for a quick listen and they sound superb out the box, you could almost run them as full-range drivers... almost.

Currently planning on using seas tweeters (ordered two soft domes) but will play with a few and see which sound best, will also flip between 2nd order, 4th order, and various different capacitor brands in blind double tests, so hopefully we can start getting some straight forward answers!

p.s. anyone in the UK who can make it to london is welcome to get involved in double blind tests, I'll be working on these in June
Old 18th March 2014, 08:02 PM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

For the UK that is very decent pricing. I think your looking
at an elliptical x/o design (like the Zaph L18) rather than
more standard fare for your acoustic target, which likely
will be 4th order L/R acoustic at around 2KHz.

X/o design is certainly a challenge, and is not to be met
by aimless experimentation, it needs a lot more rigour.

http://audio.claub.net/Simple%20Loud...ign%20ver2.pdf
FRD Consortium tools guide
Designing Crossovers with Software Only

rgds, sreten.

http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/dow...15NRXC30-8.pdf

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by sreten; 18th March 2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 18th March 2014, 08:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Sreten,

Can you clarify what you mean by elliptical xo design? this will be my first design from scratch, I played around with potential crossovers in passive 7 for a while before deciding they were right to work with. all of them looked like xo at about 2k, 2nd order with a lcr across the woofer to deal with the 5k bump or 4th order which deals with it anyway...

Stopped playing once I'd decided to order the drivers as I want to get actual FR/imp/phase measurements from the drivers in situ before I go any further.
Old 18th March 2014, 08:52 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Zaph|Audio

Elliptical x/o design is including a notch in the low pass, rather
than than just chucking low pass sections at the problem.

Electrically it is not a monotonic low pass, also note the BSC :

The acoustic result may or may not be a monotonic low pass.

This isn't monotonic, but the wiggles at 7KHz+ are near irrelevant.

The low pass is very near 4th order L/R acoustic. The high pass is deliberately
not quite 4th order L/R acoustic, to align the phase of the drivers due to the
forward offset of the tweeter, for a textbook reverse null 2" above the tweeter :

rgds, sreten.

Last edited by sreten; 18th March 2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 18th March 2014, 08:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

I've got a pair of the SB12NRX25-4's and they sound great. Very impressed with the build quality and the sound quality.

I think you are going to end up with a very nice little two way

Tony.
Old 18th March 2014, 09:11 PM   #6
gornir is offline gornir  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Yes, they are very nice drivers. Here are my measurements of the SBA 5.5”.

SB Acoustics SB15NRXC30-8
SB Acoustics SB15NRXC30-4
SB Acoustics SB15MFC30-4

Regards

/Göran
Old 18th March 2014, 09:18 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Great to here someone taking advantage of Falcons offer on SB Acoustic drivers, keep us posted I'll be interested in how you get on

I like the ClarityCaps from Falcon if you get the correct values that is. I did a sound test on my Seas tweeter with a 6.8uF ClarityCap ESA against a 6.8uF Jantzen Superior and and there's not much difference. Bit more 'air' with the ClarityCap but the Jantzen slightly smoother, really not much in it.
Old 18th March 2014, 09:33 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Stewart

Which Seas tweeter are you running? I went for a pair of 27TDFC's, interested to see how they compare to the other stuff i have laying around.
The idiot in me wants to spend a fortune on caps, the engineer says stop being an idiot. I've heard some very good sounding hi-end speakers with phenomal staging running bog std solens... that said, I've heard a lot of good things about the ESA's, and they're definately up there in the value ratings - things like mundorf supremes are simply not an option if I go for 4th order!

I'm pretty keen on trying the Audyn Plus from europe audio as well, unless you know a better UK supplier... as I said though, it's all jumping the gun a little at the moment, just wanted to share my excitment!
Old 18th March 2014, 09:47 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi,

there is nothing flash about playing with capacitor types when
the actual value used is a halfarsed guess at what is required.
Like assuming a 4th order electrical will somehow do the job.

rgds, sreten.
Old 18th March 2014, 09:47 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I don't blame you for sharing your excitement am glad you did because only last night I was thinking of ordering a pair because of the offer

I got the Seas 27TBFC/G hard dome and my friend has the Seas 27TBCD/GB-DXT you will be happy with the tweeters too very similar sound to mine apparently and we are well pleased with them (we still need to sort the x-overs out properly though).

As for caps others on here will know more than me but I think if you take the x-over design advice from the others who have posted here then I'd be well happy getting the ClarityCaps from Falcon (free delivery too). I don't think caps have a great deal on overall sound but i'll never get electrolytic ones for x-overs.

Last edited by Stewart Holmes; 18th March 2014 at 09:52 PM. Reason: spelling mistake (again...)

Hide this!Advertise here!