opinions for this woofer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th March 2014, 08:54 AM   #1
Dlav is offline Dlav  United States
diyAudio Member

Question opinions for this woofer

Hello people
Any opinions on using the Dayton ST255-8 10" in a 3way hifi loudspeaker build. Would it be easy to work with? like crossing over with a midrange? This is my first time choosing a woofer. If not,what woofer would recommended for $100 each not sure about metal cones.

Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 05:22 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi,
This 10" Dayton ST255-8 does not have a very extended response in the LF, but you can make an excellent speaker if you look for that perfect midrange driver. (I usually find the mid first but you can go otherwise). The 10" Dayton can go 93~ dB/2.83V/m (~92 dB/W/m), and more, it all depends of the alignment of the 3-WAY.
This 5" mid here should do right in a sealed small enclosure.
- Paper cone / cloth accordion surround for a natural, warm midrange tone
- Flat frequency response from 200 Hz to 6,000 Hz
- Sensitivity 89 dB 1W/1m
- Special Price $9.90
Old 18th March 2014, 10:33 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

For that money I'd be looking at SB acoustics... madisound kindly give you the alignments for most of them, which'll save you a massive amount of stress further down the road. Plus, all the SB acoustics gear measured by zaph have been very low in distortion.

Though my opinion may be tainted by getting some 5" SB's today and being blown away by there performance
Old 18th March 2014, 10:46 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The metal cone would require a notch filter in the crossover, alternatives, SB or Visaton W250S, or Peerless 830668 - cheap, goes low but requires a big box...
Choice depends on the sensitivity of your mid driver & how you intend to deal with baffle step
Old 19th March 2014, 01:45 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMcK View Post
The metal cone
It's a paper cone...
But you are right about the complexity of the crossover to damp the ringing at high frequencies (if using a simplex first order crossover) or using a higher frequency to the mid what wouldn't help. Usually the "KEF" notch is very much talked about as the solution for all problems (instead of using a different driver or approach).
Quote:
Quick Overview
The new generation of Dayton Audio heavy duty woofers features natural sounding paper cones that are chemically treated for extra durability and long life. Great for pro sound use or as a home subwoofer.
MATERIALS OF CONSTRUCTION
Cone / Diaphragm Material: Poly-coated Paper Cone
Old 19th March 2014, 02:41 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Pick Wisely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlav View Post
Hello people
Any opinions on using the Dayton ST255-8 10" in a 3way hifi loudspeaker build. Would it be easy to work with? like crossing over with a midrange? This is my first time choosing a woofer. If not,what woofer would recommended for $100 each not sure about metal cones.

Thanks
Everything is subservient to the midrange driver you pick. Woofer/Tweeter picking is driven by this choice. This is important because our ears are more sensitive to imperfections accruing in the second decade of the audio frequency spectrum rather than the first or the third.
Regards,
WHG
Old 27th March 2014, 12:25 AM   #7
Dlav is offline Dlav  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys, My midrange drivers are peerless 6 1/2" cant find any data on them due to the fact they were custom built for BayAudio,and BayAudio will not release the info, they appear to be high quality. The tweeters are vifa tc26tg05-06 I have the data on them. But I did order some testing equipment and I cant wait to get T/S data on mids. Im going to build this 3way system, I know everybody on the forum says to start with a proven design.
Hell I'm 48 yrs old and this might be my only build for my home, I want to do this right,been studying for over a year and I'm ready... When I get the T/S on mids I'll post hope to get a response.

Thanks for listening guys!!!!
Old 27th March 2014, 01:47 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlav View Post
I want to do this right, been studying for over a year and I'm ready... When I get the T/S on mids I'll post hope to get a response.
A lot of people get stuck when they arrive to do the simulation.

Hide this!Advertise here!