chocolate box cardboard coil formers :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay... Probably everyone who reads this is going to think I'm completely nuts. :D

A friend gave me a pair of Rockwood Detanator 15" subwoofers.

They were being used at a gig when the coils overheated, shorted the amp, jumped the gap, and were toasted.
(I am also repairing the amp that got fried.)

So anyway, I decided that I'm going to try taking these speakers apart. I got the cone removed and cut the old coil former off.(It is a crumpled accordian type :bigeyes: )

I thought, maybe I can make my own former and use what was left of the original coil (9/10ths of it was there.)

I ended up cutting a piece of cardboard from a chocolate box and forming it into a circle. I then glued the cardboard to the remaining coil and formed it into a nice round circle.

Right now, I've got the new former in the cone and the glue is drying.

Next I have to shim it into place, clamp everything down, and see what happends!:eek: :D :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

Any thoughts?

Well, it worked but I put the coil way too far back, out of the proper linear flux. I tried to move it forward but I'll never get the paper straight again cause it's stuck in the cone and I can't line up the coil on it.

For some reason, also, the coil is now 1.3 ohms, so it's obviousely shorting out in places. I think I'll just get re-cone kits for these baskets.

Remember to use thick[28 0r 24 gauge] ennamled copper wire for the voice coil as it's a high power 15 inch.
And use some aluminium foil--kitchen foil is perfect 'as it can stand high temperatures in the oven'--and glue this around the cardboard tube[vc former].
And to make the voice coil wires stay in place and tightly packed together use some Epoxy resin[the grey stuff which looks like putty and dries hard used normally for sealing pipes].
So use a very small amout of this lightly spread on the former to hold the voice coil wire in place; wind the voice coil whilst putty is still wet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.