Western Electric 15A Small SATO horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nota Bene

It's kind of appealing to be able to make LF and MF horns the same length for time alignment. I guess it really just moves the path length problems up a few octaves, though.

In a modern, all-horn system, the big issue that still remains, is foot-print management. Here it is expected that dedicated power amplifiers with a DSP front end will be used. In this setting, driver time alignment is a non-issue, only pattern matching/control and driver voicing remain. DSP, of course is the ideal setting to address driver time alignment and voicing issues. Getting coverage in the third frequency decade remains a problem to be addressed acoustically. Some ways to mitigate beaming here include acoustic lens and dispersive surface techknowledgies.

Regards,

WHG

Last edited:
If you use a cone compression driver like the JBL CMCD81 time alignment with the treble horn is pretty simple because the horn need not be a long snail shape due to a larger throat. It will also have better low midrange response then the traditional dome compression drivers like the WE and older JBL, Altec, RCA ECT designs. The advantages are numerous sonically. The shorter horn used with a driver that works much better in this range means incredible sound, tone and presence throughout the midrange. The problem with the cone (even when designed properly with phase plug and back chamber) is it's limitation extending into the treble. Not a big deal seeing we have so many good treble drivers and horns available to us.

The horn in the video appears to be the 'Sato' DIY ‘U’ fold expo horn, though it's not a 'small' 15A per se since AFAIK none of the smaller horns in this series were single fold nor was there one with this mouth area.

Anyway, the plans was published in a French audio magazine back in the '80s IIRC and later on the net, but haven't seen them in quite awhile now and no longer have the link to see if it's in the web archive.

Not that it matters much though since it's an expo horn, so all one needs is its throat area [St], mouth area [Sm] and flare frequency [Fc] or axial length [L] to plug into Hornresp or similar to calculate a horn that you can fold it up as you please to best suit the needs of one’s app; or not, if one has enough room depth to allow a straight horn.

From the web posted plan [all dims i.d.], though best to make [St] the proper size to match one’s driver and let HR change the expansion, length to suit:

St = 19.36 cm^2/3.0"^2
Sm = 9304.5316 cm^2/1442.2053^2
L = 173 cm/68.11"
Fc = ~ 97 Hz [what I calculate, HR = 97.71 Hz]

GM

I appreciate the info. While searching for a set of these horns will also be looking for the dimensions hopefully to build a pair.

Not enough room to use these horns straightened out.
Mike Ross

Thank you mdross and GM for posting that. I didn't realize that old copies of L'Audiophile were posted on line., If you don't hear from me for awhile, it's because I'm attempting to read them (No, I don't know how to speak or read French...darn it!).
Great Stuff from what I've seen so far!

Best Regards,
Terry

Last edited:
You're welcome!

Yeah, wish I'd found it over the Winter, but now with nice/warm weather it's back to the seemingly never ending, time/budget sucking whole property rehab. :(

Be nice if someone started a thread highlighting the most pertinent articles for our various forums.

GM

Fortunately for me all our expensive home rehab stuff is behind us, aside from the unforeseen things that might need replacing. Also been retired almost a year and really starting to settle in so time is becoming a wonderful thing. It still flies by a little too quickly have heard it means we are having too much fun.

This quest for information about these great sounding horns will continue but building them will have to wait till the next winter season. Have found a supplier of the bendable plywood already. In the near future need to find a student of the French language, of which I was in high school over 50 yrs ago. Problem is that grey matter is unrecoverable.

If you're using Firefox browser, you can download a free add-on from Mozilla that will translate sections you highlight from/to about any languages you can think of. Works rather well when reading forums in other languages. There's probably similar add-ons for Chrome browser, don't know about the others.

Google translate says it means:

You are looking for the perfect solution?

Here we go:

To be submitted, because something new is present in the development is a midrange horn class. Lower cut-off frequency is 96Hz. Can be used up to 5000Hz with very linear frequency response. Let yourself not miss this chance. Horns of this design are not traded generally below 8000 €.
If necessary, the appropriate MT drivers with acquired.
Also leave would be a fitting HT driver. If they still might be missing a matching bass horn, they are not afraid to ask me.
You want a listening appointment?
Send warm Willkommen.Einfach an email and bring some black disks.
Maaße ca.106cm to 106cm
at 85 cm depth. Average horn length approx 220cm.

This is a purely private sale.
Therefore no guarantees or return name.

Images are the Anschauung.Darauf located devices / drivers are not part of the auction.

Horn Lautsprecher Satohorn für Western Electric WE 15A;Klangfilm Projekt 1 Paar | eBay

If you're using Firefox browser, you can download a free add-on from Mozilla that will translate sections you highlight from/to about any languages you can think of. Works rather well when reading forums in other languages. There's probably similar add-ons for Chrome browser, don't know about the others.

Use Google all the time right clicking on things gives me no options to translate foreign languages. Will certainly look into this.
Spent a little time and Google does offer translation a little slow trying to figure out how to do whole page,may need to have a computer Guru hold my hand.
Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.