What Enclosure for Visaton-BG-20

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello ,
Few days ago i've get pair of Visaton BG20 and because i can't afford any other speaker i want to ask What type of Loudspeaker box will i made ? I don't know many of acoustic rules and if you have any idea or plans for this i will be gratefull !!!
In the market when i get this BG20 told me that he is ok for bass-reflex or voigt pipe or TL, but i don't know which type of enclosure ?! and i don't know how to make it because i don't have any plans?
Importand is that i will use only one of BG20 in every of the loudspeakers, and the size of box is not problem for me
I will use it on Class A (SE) 2x18W Bipolar Amplifer with CD-Player and Turntable with (dinamic) RIAA preamp
I mostly will play: jazz (fusion, calipso), blues, vocal, world and new age
Thank you very much
Best reggard:
Niki
Bulgaria

Re: ok, but...

bezobraznia said:
ok, thank you for specs for BG20 but I read this specification before i buy this speaker and i know her very much, but question is in other way: i want plans for some box for this speaker???

Looks to me it will fit most high efficiency full range designs for
8" units out there, e.g. for the fostex Fe208 and similar drivers.

IMO you should should investigate baffle step compensation,
a parallel inductor and resistor and then add a capacitor in
parallel to bring the high treble back.

Some standard box info : sealed, reflex and over-damped reflex :

:) sreten.

Attachments

• bg20.gif
    bg20.gif
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,689

GM

Joined 2003
I did some sims using published specs awhile back and got the best tradeoff between eff/BW in a straight ML-TL. Like any ~max flat alignment speaker, it may need baffle step compensation, and with this driver, some form of EQ to tame the mids 'shout'/drooping HF response as already noted.

All dims are inside:

L = 26.93"

w = 16.91"

d = 10.43"

driver down 12.5" from top

3" dia x 1.75" long vent near/at bottom - make longer if a more rolled off response is desired.

19mm 13ply Baltic Birch or Appleply material preferred.

Minimal stuffing, just enough to keep reflections from coming back through the cone.

I recommend making the cab long enough to get the driver up to ear height and fill the extra bottom cavity with Kitty Litter, cement, sterile sand, or equal to mass load the cab and use this tweak to mass load the driver: http://melhuish.org/audio/images/press-screw.gif

If you decide to build it, let us know what you think, and what, if anything you did differently to improve it, etc..

HTH,

GM

Re: yeah

bezobraznia said:
thank you for propose
I found some plans and is this ok for BG20? -
http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project03/Project03.html

if need any changes please type here...

10x!

Looks to me it will fit most high efficiency full range designs for 8" units out there, e.g. for the fostex Fe208 and similar drivers.

I should add that Vas is very high for such a driver, thats
why Fs is also very low for such a type of driver as well.

What this means in practise is the suspension is not very stiff.
Probably only likely to be a problem with subsonic overload
if you are using a turntable, your phono preamp will need
good subsonic filtering.

The above plans seems reasonable, though you
may have to tune the port length for best results.
The BSD/treble circuit seems a good place to start.

:) sreten.

thank you , now i decide

thank you very much for your reply sreten...

after a long searching i finally decide what enclosure will use for my Visaton BG-20 8ohm. -
http://indigo.ie/~walton/voigt.html
I stop on Voigt Pipe ....
and I need advice.... is this project good for my Visaton BG20
or need some modifications ?

Thank you very much.
Niki
Bulgaria

p.s.
1. i think that may be the hole in the bottom may be not 26sm. but 12 -:- 18
2. i think that even i don't change box , moving speaker up or down on front side maybe will give better results ...

ps.s. i don't know many of acoustics, and i need strong advice (in sm)

best reggards
Niki

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.