Peerless NE series anyone used them? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2014, 05:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Peerless NE series anyone used them?

I'd be interested in your opinion on the platinum series (NE) by peerless.
looks great, but I've seen a few projects, and very few people who use them.
Why?
Old 14th March 2014, 07:44 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

One example is the NE95 vs. TC9FD-18-08 where the latter is ~1/4 the price.

Look up Aino Gradient for Juhazi's measurements on the NE95 (lots of them)
Old 15th March 2014, 11:34 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Pete Schumacher has used some of them - have a search on Tech Talk (Parts express forum)
Old 15th March 2014, 06:02 PM   #4
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

They use neodymium magnets and general design and build quality is good/excellent, close to Scanspeak Revelator I guess. The cones are alu or stiff wood fiber depending on model and also "deepness" varies. Obviously they are not selling well, they are not cheap but lack prestige! I have experience of just the NE95.
AES Associate Member / My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, XLS10+PR/Hypex, -08 CSS125FR, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, -08 TangBand FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470, -13 AINOgradient
Old 15th March 2014, 06:05 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhazi View Post
They use neodymium magnets and general design and build quality is good/excellent, close to Scanspeak Revelator I guess. The cones are alu or stiff wood fiber depending on model and also "deepness" varies. Obviously they are not selling well, they are not cheap but lack prestige! I have experience of just the NE95.
please explain me better, thank you
Old 15th March 2014, 06:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The pricing on the NE series seems to be largely affected by the price of neo. The NE range was set to be introduced before the neo price hike in China. The neo price hike came, many drivers went up in price by 50% and then the NE series came out at a price point that made most people scratch their heads a little.

But what's there to explain? Juhazi has already covered it pretty well, neo magnets and excellent build quality with cast frames increases the price. This in turn makes people reluctant to spend when other drivers of known quantity exist.

I've been tempted to try the NE95 too, but have held off due to the price.
Old 15th March 2014, 07:58 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

If you live in europe its better value to buy the SS doped 5.5" revelator imo.
In the States the cheaper price of the Vifa makes more sense

Mind you, the NE95 is the smaller one so maybe its not a good comparison
Old 15th March 2014, 09:50 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Distortion of NE85 and "the price of Neo"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
The pricing on the NE series seems to be largely affected by the price of neo.
It's sort of off-topic, but many folks have been duped into this "price of Neo" argument. My company buys NeFeB magnets by the metric ton for use in servo motors. The price doubled about 4 years ago, but then settled back down to about 1-1/2 of what it was historically. But these drivers use so little of the material that it's immaterial to the over all cost, probably $0.30 for the magnet in the NE95 (so an increase of ~ a dime). Someone in the chain is just making more profit using this as an excuse. (I have no problem with profit, it's about value provided. I just get bothered by the dishonesty.)

NE85 distortion 1W.GIF
NE85 Distortion- A clean tweeter!

More on topic, above is the distortion of an NE85W-04 (2-1/2") sample, measured nude (no baffle) at 2.83V. Extremely clean above 1200Hz, near the best I have measured. This test was done in 2011 before I knew how a baffle could affect the result. I found, usually, that speakers mounted in a solid baffle could have much lower distortion from controlling the frame. Perhaps if this test was run again in a baffle, the LF distortion would be much better, more like other Tympany units.

This little guy continued to do well when pushed hard...

NE85 at 8V.GIF
8VRMS (16Watts), Not falling apart at all.

Last edited by Z transform; 15th March 2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 15th March 2014, 10:07 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

The neo mag drivers from Peerless that I looked at had significantly worse frequency response graphs than the 8 ohm TC9 or TG9. Plus, the ceramic magnets on the TG9 and TC9 have significantly more mass than a neo magnet, and would therefore dampen any resonances in the frame (basket) of the driver better, if that's an issue.
Old 15th March 2014, 10:46 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

It may be the case that neo isn't actually that expensive, but lots of drivers went up significantly in price when the neo inflation came about and, as far as I am aware, have yet to go back down. Clearly people are trying to make more profit somewhere.

Yes, your lower end distortion is screwed by there not being a baffle.

Hide this!Advertise here!