ITT (German) 2" softdome - Any good ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2014, 11:24 AM   #1
Empee is offline Empee  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default ITT (German) 2" softdome - Any good ?

Hi There,

I've been looking into softdome midrange drivers,
and find a lot of vintage german drivers (softdomes with double suspension!) for sale, but can't find any comments on their sound quality....

So I ask you; is it any good ?

Cheers,

Empee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg itt-ff.jpg (53.5 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg itt-gg.jpg (39.1 KB, 271 views)
Old 13th March 2014, 11:26 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default more info

oh;
it seems they were used in B&O Beovox models M70 & M100

Their number is ITT LPKM 130/50/120 T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg itt-dd.jpg (52.7 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg lpkm13050.jpg (152.1 KB, 270 views)
Old 17th June 2014, 01:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

They are also used and in "SABA 1300 Professional" and "Tandberg Studio Monitor", and I listened to both speakers - fantastic. Try to buy Tandberg SM if you can find them on sale .
Excellent drivers, go for it.
Old 18th June 2014, 07:19 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I once read that some ITT drivers were developed by Mr. Skaaning.

Regards

Charles
Old 18th June 2014, 10:36 AM   #5
Boden is offline Boden  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Mailzahifi is fully correct: this is one heck of midrange gem.

I got mine some 10 years ago from exactly the same B&O. Measured them for fun, and almost fell out of my chair. My measurements confirm the ITT measurements to a large extent, although the slight peak of mine was around 6 kHz. After 2.2 kHz a slight drooping of the SPL curve starts.

700 Hz to 2.2 kHz flat on axis (@1 m) within 1.5 dB on a 25 cm wide speaker front baffle, flush mounted. Not easy to top that even with today's best drivers.

Easy to filter with acoustic (no not electric!!) LR 4 at 750 Hz and 3 kHz. Dreamlike textbook fashion targeting with the proper simulation software.

Incidently, I have a feeling the at DIYAudio often mentioned and admired ATC 75 mm dome is straight rip off of the 50 mm ITT, albeit with a different and somewhat improved magnetic circuit to reduce distortion.

So, go for it, you will not be disppointed if this driver is used as a (properly filtered!) midrange.

Good luck,

Eelco
Old 18th June 2014, 01:58 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boden View Post
Easy to filter with acoustic (no not electric!!) LR 4 at 750 Hz and 3 kHz.
Eelco
Hi Eelco,

What do you mean by "filter acoustic, no not electric" ?

I want to go over to a 6,5" ribbon somewhere around 2K5 / 3K,
but how would I filter this ?

Cheers,

Empee
Old 18th June 2014, 05:08 PM   #7
DrBoar is offline DrBoar  Sweden
diyAudio Member

If the driver slopes of by 12 db from 5 to 10 kHz and then you add a 12 dB electric filter with the same slope the accoustic summed slope will be 24 dB. So accoustic filters (the important parameter) and the electrical filter that is utilized to get those accoustical slopes are two different things.
Old 24th June 2014, 05:32 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Also used in the Meridian M1 active speaker. Have had a couple of pairs of Tandberg Studio Monitors in the past and they were very good - never quite sure about their double tweeters and old-school wide baffles though, so I think the ITT could be used in a great modern design project to improve imaging (the Tandbergs could be very good at that but required perfect setup as it was fleeting).

Regarding the ATC mid driver - one of it's secrets is the dome doping and material. Apparently the ATC's dome has a speed of sound exactly the same as that of air (average at room temp I guess at some average pressure!) and so it's interface with the air allows greater accuracy. (that last sentence was fudged as I'm slightly out of my depth there - trying to convey what I was told by Clive Kavan once (name-drop..) )
Old 24th June 2014, 06:51 PM   #9
Boden is offline Boden  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

The secret of the ATC being its dome doping and material? Sounds like typical sales talk, including the speed of sound bit.

The ATC (just like the original ITT) dome will most likely come from the venerable Dr. Kurt Muller factory, the loudspeaker industries well kept secret supplier of high quality domes, cones and surrounds.

Eelco
Old 24th June 2014, 08:11 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATDBERG View Post
Regarding the ATC mid driver - one of it's secrets is the dome doping and material. Apparently the ATC's dome has a speed of sound exactly the same as that of air (average at room temp I guess at some average pressure!) and so it's interface with the air allows greater accuracy. (that last sentence was fudged as I'm slightly out of my depth there - trying to convey what I was told by Clive Kavan once (name-drop..) )
For that to be true the dome would have to have the same density as air which I find somewhat unlikely.

Hide this!Advertise here!