First DIY 3-Way Speakers / Questions & Advices

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello guys ... I builded my first speakers, after reading A LOT ! for weeks , but I have some doubts witch can't find the answer in google.

THE BOX
I calculated the box with WinISD... my woofer Audifiel BX8 (Argentinian brand ... a bit cheapo but in my country is really hard find a good hi-fi speaker) need a 23lts box, so i made a box of 26lts with a 2lts enclosure for the mid-range .... the rest of the volume is for the insulation.

THE CROSSOVER

Is a 6db/Oct with a -5dB L-pad for the tweeter ... (maybe in the future i made a 12db/oct ...).
I need to redo the coil woofer beacuse i used very thin wire and the DC resistance is very high :eek:
(The high-pass filter capacitor is soldered on the tweeter)

PICTURES

QUESTIONS

>The vent are too close of the woofer ? beacause i searched comercial and DIY bass reflex vented back speakers and all I saw are usually are away from the woofer axis (usually in the middle or above)
> I can't find any audio grade capacitor for the crossover ... a quality motor start capacitor are good for crossovers ? ... Now i using a really cheap chinese NP capacitor :(

Any advice or constructive criticism are welcome.

Thanks

"The bigger the better"

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I redo all the coils with 0,95mm wire (AWG 18) ... 0,7 Ohms DCR vs 1,8 Ohms DCR of my first coil, now the crossover doesn't lower so many dB as before, ... i think -6dB L-PAD is too much .... but don't have any decent amplifier to test well my speakers only a amplifier from a Edifier speakers (10W RMS ¬¬)

Last edited:
I removed the L-pad because -5dB is too much ... (i need to measure the sensibility with a good SPL meter), move the vent to from now the bass are more present, add damping in the walls and polish the tweeter hole for a better off-axis performance maybe i will add foam around the hole
I'm happy with the sound now, but the mid range sound a bit bad .... is a chinese piece of *** but maybe is the damping material because it is a very cheap polyfill compared to that used in the walls ... i'll try to change it
Here is the T/S values .... the subenclosure have a vol. of 2lts aprox

SUGGESTIONS ?

Fs, 125.26, Hz
Re, 6.71, ohms[dc]
Qt, 0.86, -
Qes, 1.12, -
Qms, 3.72, -
Mms, 3.08, grams
Rms, 0.718181, kg/s
Cms, 0.000528, m/N
Vas, 1.97, liters
Sd, 51.53, cm^2
Bl, 4.002361, Tm
ETA, 0.36, %
Lp(2.83V/1m), 88.48, dB
, ,
Le, 179.97, uH
L2, 236.33, uH
R2, 8.16, ohms
L3, 0, uH
R3, 0, ohms

Need paint :p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.