How to Connect wires out of an Enclosed Speaker ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I vote for speakon connector too. It's a bit more expensive but it's soo nice! I'm using speakon on all my audio stuff =)

Especially as you are going to 3-amp, you won't have to worry about connecting the tweeter to the woofer and blowing it as the cable already takes care of that in the wiring itself.

What's so nice about it ?? It looks nice ? Yah, maybe a bit, but i'm not going to take a peek around my speaker once in a while just to see how nice the connectors look...

It says that SpeakOn connectors use Gold plated BRONZE, - Neither of those metals are at the top of metal conducting chart...it really make no sense at all to use it if you care about the actual sound quality and have taken care about all the other wiring

Adapters are a sonic poison

I have done it twice with copper screws and soldered wire. I did it because it was inside a double chamber cabinet and there was no access once I sealed everything up so it was the only way I knew that I would never have to worry about either oxide build up on a connector or degradation of a sealant.

If you can use connectors, I certainly would.

What's so nice about it ?? It looks nice ? Yah, maybe a bit, but i'm not going to take a peek around my speaker once in a while just to see how nice the connectors look...

It says that SpeakOn connectors use Gold plated BRONZE, - Neither of those metals are at the top of metal conducting chart...it really make no sense at all to use it if you care about the actual sound quality and have taken care about all the other wiring

It's easy to use, you don't have to worry about wiring something wrong when you move them. They are robust too which is nice. if you have a multi-driver speaker that is multi-amped it's much easier to just plop in one cable than 8 small ones and worry about someone being wired wrong and blowing the tweeter.

Also and maybe most importantly, I personally don't believe that cables or some minimal contact surface being some % more conductive make a difference so I use SpeakOn for the convenience they provide me.

I have Never encountered Screws nor Nails made from Pure Copper in my life, if you know where to buy such wonders, lets me know, as long as its 99.9+% copper, which is most of the time too soft to manufacture into stuff

I will also take Pure Silver nails, lol

I have done it twice with copper screws and soldered wire. I did it because it was inside a double chamber cabinet and there was no access once I sealed everything up so it was the only way I knew that I would never have to worry about either oxide build up on a connector or degradation of a sealant.

If you can use connectors, I certainly would.

Oh deary deary me. You have got is as well. "It says" that bronze and gold is used. What, pray is "It"!
Gold is the best conductor one can use and bronze is pliable and strong.

I have Never encountered Screws nor Nails made from Pure Copper in my life

I bet you are right. I'm thinking it was brass or maybe even bronze? Too long ago to remember. In any event I used them for the reason stated and still believe it was the right way to do it under the circumstances. ie: zero maintenance.

I really wish members would post comments/details like this in their OP. Had I have known this from the beginning, I would not have wasted my time trying to help with constructive solutions.

Peter

Oh deary deary me. You have got is as well. "It says" that bronze and gold is used. What, pray is "It"!
Gold is the best conductor one can use and bronze is pliable and strong.

Gold is on the lower end of conductors along with aluminum.
Gold is used as a surface protector for plugs as it is very non-reactive.

Bronze alloys can consist of a variety of things, but primarily copper with a bit of tin.

Silver and copper are more conductive then gold.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.