Cabinet size help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
RE mid drivers - depends on how you're going to deal with baffle step, I'd go for a 5" driver with about 4dB less sensitivity than the woofer, SB drivers look good (low distortion, may need a notch filter), would outclass that woofer though. How high do you want the mid driver to go?

Port size: Dia 3" - length .32"; Dia 4" - Length 2.55"

Last edited:
Regardless, I decided to use the same size vent as the MLTL, so 6" dia. x 8" long for a ~38 Hz Fb, making it good for up to 250 W:

GM

Attachments

• Dai-ichi 150-12 [johncee1945] 38 Hz BR.gif
    Dai-ichi 150-12 [johncee1945] 38 Hz BR.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 61
Am I on the right track seeking a large wide range mid 6", 7" or 8"? Or can the smaller 5" or 5 1/2" wide range mids "cut the mustard" without being overpowered by the 12" bass? Any suggestions greatfully accepted as long as they are not too expensive.

As a general rule-of-thumb [ROT], the mid will be the mean between the woofer, tweeter radiating areas, so if a 3/4" tweeter's Sd = ~0.44"^2 and a 12" woofer's = 78.54"^2, then the mid's Sd = ~[0.44*78.54]^0.5 = ~5.88"^2 = ~2.74" effective diameter or a ~3.5 - 4" driver depending on its design. For a 1" tweeter, 4.5-5" mid.

GM

The woofer appears to come from here:
https://www.wes.com.au/mediapub/ebook/wescat2014np/files/assets/basic-html/page366.html
specifically the attached? So Vas spec is 157.45L.
Looks like a relatively inexpensive woofer.

I don't think I would try to dig the depths of bass with this in a large box. With no Xmax spec you are lucky if it does +/-9mm and it could be significantly less with the tradeoffs it takes to get 94dB sensitivity.

the 3.84cubic foot (108 liter) box you have is fine.
I simulated your woofer with 2x 4" ports ~9.25" long - tuned to 37 Hz in your 105 liter box (I only subtracted 3L for the ports and driver volume)
This size port has you at 17m/s port velocity at 150W input.

Attachments

• WES woofer.png
    WES woofer.png
    131 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
The woofer appears to come from here:
https://www.wes.com.au/mediapub/ebook/wescat2014np/files/assets/basic-html/page366.html
specifically the attached? So Vas spec is 157.45L.
Looks like a relatively inexpensive woofer.

the 3.84cubic foot (108 liter) box you have is fine.
I simulated your woofer with 2x 4" ports ~9.25" long - tuned to 37 Hz in your 105 liter box (I only subtracted 3L for the ports and driver volume)
This size port has you at 17m/s port velocity at 150W input.

Thanks Ron so is that port requirement 2 x 4" x 9" in EACH box?

Yes. If you either flare the entrance and exit, or put the port on the rear of the cabinet, you could get away with just one that is 4" Dia x ~4"-5" long

What I did because the port-pipes were long (9 1/4" x 4") consequently would sit close to the bass speaker. So I put the pipe up through the bottom of the speaker at the rear.
You were correct in your assesment about the limitaions of very deep bass, however, there is still good rich bass, moreso than my other 12" 3way speakers. And the new speakers are smoother up through the ranges. Big thanks to the helpful crew attached to DIY Audio.

For my next build any suggestions for a 12" 3 way setup?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.