The holy grail of LS design? The Linear Current Loudspeaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm cautious of these blogs, because the people who often create them possess far less knowledge or credentials than they would have people believe. I understand that engineers, professors, and other professionals will dumb-down their explanations to help the layman understand the topic, but this "article" was quite poor in several respects. The blogger could stand to invest some time in an effective writing course to assist in future communication with his target group. It would be my opinion that he could also spend some time back in the classroom for other reasons, too.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
I would be interested to see that crossover (now removed)

Probabley the means to the end. Interesting idea, make the crossover more complex by doubling the constraints, flat FR from the drivers and purely resistive load impedance from the speaker. Does not address a myriad of other issues.

Another question, are the distortion benefits of current drive maintained?

I would be interested to see that crossover (now removed)

You'd be probably looking at bunch of parts placed in parallel with
amp output which don't do anything to FR of the speakers. I have
read numerous times in DIY magazines tube amps could benefit
from equalized impedance. They always marked these networks
as optional, meaning solid state would not profit from it.

It's a notch filter to remove the Fs impedance hump....:gnasher: (Although Joe has promised a 'White Paper' to justify it...)

How's this for a bit of prose: "...current being the native method that the motor system in dynamic loudspeakers produce sound (hence erroneous current phase angle can be modulated to produce massive amounts of phase noise, or jitter)"...

The problem is I'm probably pretty dumb myself. So I'm still trying to understand the following

A. Does his LS design has a merit? (How is it different from any ported design)
B. Is the magic created by the crossover OR a combination of crossover and the unity coupled amp OR the crossover + unity coupled amp + LS?

B200 is in sealed box because Qt=0,75. There is no magic.
The speaker has got filter networks designed to null the
impedance peaks and other hills and valleys. You can turn
any speaker into one with flat impedance just by adding
these networks. So the "magic" is in "crossover".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.