Help me design a speaker that my wife will let me build!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I measured the thickness of the wall yesterday, it is about 9 cm in total. I'm guessing that it means 70 mm wood/void and 2x12 mm plasterboard. What woofers are thin enough (maximum depth of 80 mm)?..
for my GF it's o'k:

Attachments

• RCh_backside_from_LCh.jpg
    RCh_backside_from_LCh.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 461
Its all well known facts and documented, look around. I used to not care much about speaker placement, but after experiencing with this, I was shocked how much difference it makes to have your speaker to optimal placement. The optimal speaker palcement is 5 feet from the back wall, if you go under 3 feet, I have personnally noticed huge difference in bass performance and soundstage and imaging performance.

That's because you experimented with speakers that were designed to be used in free space.

If the design is done right to actually take into account on wall mounting, the results can be excellent. Baffle step needs consideration as well as bass alignment.

That's because you experimented with speakers that were designed to be used in free space.

If the design is done right to actually take into account on wall mounting, the results can be excellent. Baffle step needs consideration as well as bass alignment.
This is my understanding as well. At least frequency response should be possible, at least with help from some digital filters (e.g. Audyssey).

/Anton

Anton, you obviously have a good eye and are generally interested in both sound and and design. Good for your wife!

The first designs you produced are the best estetically - they are much better than many of the top-money designs shown in pictures here.

If SQ is not the ultimate goal but equally important as the looks, and ultimately approval, you have a great way of showing that you can do both if you build it. For me to follow when you complete it..

So - I would love to see the first version of the octagonals in felt. Looking forward to copying when you are done:)

Good luck!

Speakers can be moved...You could use a planer on top of a woofer box disguised with the fabric of your choice...pushed right up too the wall most of the time, and pulled out into the room for "serious" listening.
My wife is very accepting but for me the speakers can't live out in the room where they sound best. Once and a while I drag them out to some marks on the floor and later they tuck back to the wall. As a side note the difference sound is almost not worth the trouble of moving them.
Evan

Attachments

• spkr.JPG
    spkr.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 486
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Speakers can be moved...You could use a planer on top of a woofer box disguised with the fabric of your choice...pushed right up too the wall most of the time, and pulled out into the room for "serious" listening.
My wife is very accepting but for me the speakers can't live out in the room where they sound best. Once and a while I drag them out to some marks on the floor and later they tuck back to the wall. As a side note the difference sound is almost not worth the trouble of moving them.
Evan
I plan on using the hifi ribbon, how do you like them?

For me, there is a huge difference compared to my speakers with 3 feet behind or only 1 feet behind. The bass is booby as hell if they are at 1 foot, not defined, not snappy, boomy as hell, but when pushed at 3 feet, it sounds perfect

Disabled Account
Joined 2011

I agree some speakers are design to be close to the wall.

but no matter what, bass is omnidirectional and so it will be affected by the back wall, you cant go agianst physics. and not only the bass is affected by the back wall, the whole spectrum will reflect on the back wall.

anyways, every speaker ive tried sounds better way into the room, they all benifit, some more then others and my main speaker bass sounds like crap if too close to the back wall in my room. Every room sounds different, but my 12 inch cabinet too close to a wall is boomy and at 3 feet, sounds amazing.

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
soundstage effect is likely to be degraded ... ups, I said it now :p
not likely, it will degrade, its a known fact in the acoustic area.

this place is weird, pleople keep on arguing on capacitor on a amp, but they dont even treat there on room

where as for a studio, the main aspect of good sound is speaker placement, room acoustic and your speaker.

I plan on using the hifi ribbon, how do you like them?

For me, there is a huge difference compared to my speakers with 3 feet behind or only 1 feet behind.

The tweeters are css planar 2 Creative Sound - Product Details and I like them a lot.
My speakers sit about 2 feet from the wall normally and I have pulled them further into the room with little difference. I have never tried them right against the wall...

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
... but they dont even treat there on room...

I sure hope so

but there is a limit to it

speaker design is still important
and the optimal speaker for any room would probably not be the greatest looker
music style, playing habbits etc, might make a difference too
and could be even further 'restricted' by personal priorities

its funny that many choose to base their priorities on what could be like 10% of their 'listening habbits'
and only gets a 50/50 quality result because of it
if choices were based on 90 % of the listening habbits, it might even turn out to be like a positive 90% quality result instead

but whatever, it could be the 10% that does hold most of the fun :clown:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.