Help me design a speaker that my wife will let me build! - Page 34 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th April 2014, 03:17 PM   #331
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I'll get yours underway as soon as these are finished.
Old 21st April 2014, 06:28 AM   #332
onni is offline onni  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Hey Anton, I got bored waiting for you to come to your senses so I made you a pair. RS 40-1354A drivers, 36" Cornu. I still have to put the finish on them but you can pick them up the end of the week.
Awesome :-) Too bad it would cost me 10 the component cost to come to get them...

What dimensions are recommended for the CHR-70? I have a pair of them.

/Anton
Old 21st April 2014, 07:07 AM   #333
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Quote:
Originally Posted by onni View Post
The TC-sounds woofers seem to be slightly out of my budget (at least the 15"). How about Dayton RSS315 or RSS390? Both the Dayton and the TC-sounds woofers seem to be sold exclusively at PE, is that correct?.
I have never used the Dayton woofers so I don't know how good or bad they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Hey Anton, I got bored waiting for you to come to your senses so I made you a pair. RS 40-1354A drivers, 36" Cornu. I still have to put the finish on them but you can pick them up the end of the week.
Super. Cal how about the rest of us?
Old 21st April 2014, 11:08 AM   #334
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Intertechnik is the official retail seller of Dayton speakers in Europe
https://www.intertechnik.com/shop/lo...r/1768,en,7053

Some others sell them too, eg. DAYTON AUDIO - Audiophonics - Câbles, Amplificateurs et Accessoires DIY
and Dayton audio • Europe Audio
AES Associate Member / My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, XLS10+PR/Hypex, -08 CSS125FR, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, -08 TangBand FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470, -13 AINOgradient
Old 21st April 2014, 08:18 PM   #335
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onni View Post
Awesome :-) Too bad it would cost me 10 the component cost to come to get them...
I'll send my private jet to pick you up.
Quote:
What dimensions are recommended for the CHR-70? I have a pair of them.
I'm not the expert but I would imagine 70-80cm and a channel depth of around 10-15cm
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Cal how about the rest of us?
Get in line Navin.
Actually, you will want to make them yourself. Because of the speed of the build, the reward is quicker.
Old 22nd April 2014, 12:53 PM   #336
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhazi View Post
Intertechnik is the official retail seller of Dayton speakers in Europe
https://www.intertechnik.com/shop/lo...r/1768,en,7053

Some others sell them too, eg. DAYTON AUDIO - Audiophonics - Câbles, Amplificateurs et Accessoires DIY
and Dayton audio • Europe Audio
Alright, too bad that the prices are almost twice as high (RSS265 costs 130 USD at PE and 168 EUR = 230 USD at intertechnik).

/Anton
Old 22nd April 2014, 08:58 PM   #337
diyAudio Member

I've been thinking about the how to implement subwoofer enclosures into the console considering what you said navin:
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Firstly a computer usually has a hard disk so you may have issues with that.
The vibrations might actually be a problem, both for the electronics, but also for the sound. The wall that is behind the TV is very weak (45 mm wood structure, single drywall on each side), so to put two 12" (or 15") woofers pushing the console into the wall might be a bad idea.

I see two solutions that significantly reduce vibrations:
1. Mount the woofers at the ends of the console
Click the image to open in full size.
Kinda hard to see (it would be IRL as well, which is kinda the point), but the black surface pointing towards the curtain is the speaker grill. 12" or 15" woofers.

2. Implement a push-pull pair for each speaker (as shown earlier).

I made two new renderings:

8" or 10" woofers.

For option #1 i can find quite a few interesting drivers for about 300 EUR (for two). But it's a little harder to find 4 drivers for the same money. They can be smaller (as there are more of them), any suggestions? Box volume is 20-30 l for each.

How about the Peerless SLS 10", they are quite affordable and easily obtainable. There is a 10 dB dip at 25 Hz, is that a problem? Link. If I go down to the SLS 8" I'm starting to worry that the small cone combined with low Xmax will be a problem.

TangBand W8-740P and W8-1363 both have decent Xmax but seem to be designed for very small enclosures (less than 10 l each). The design allows for much more than that, but I could probably find a design that's sleeker if I would go that route.

/Anton
Old 23rd April 2014, 05:13 AM   #338
diyAudio Member

Anton, I don't think that vibrations will be a problem even with single driver/side. Just use floor board or double (constrained) layers for the box.

Push-pull is fine, but I don't think it is worth the effort and money here. Wiser to have large volume for a single driver, because you must reach very low.
AES Associate Member / My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, XLS10+PR/Hypex, -08 CSS125FR, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, -08 TangBand FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470, -13 AINOgradient
Old 23rd April 2014, 05:32 AM   #339
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhazi View Post
Anton, I don't think that vibrations will be a problem even with single driver/side. Just use floor board or double (constrained) layers for the box.

Push-pull is fine, but I don't think it is worth the effort and money here. Wiser to have large volume for a single driver, because you must reach very low.
How about the version with drivers pointing to the sides? Only 2 drivers, clean aesthetics, some vibration reduction.

Not sure what you mean with floorboard, but constrained layer is a good idea. Why not just use plywood? What is usually used as the viscoelastic layer?

/Anton
Old 23rd April 2014, 07:08 AM   #340
diyAudio Member

Floor board = thick (25-28mm) fibre (LDF/MDF) or plywood board - not parkett. Plywood itself does not work as constrained in this meaning - layers must be very different eg. plywood and rubber or halltex (pulp). But the problem is how to integrate them to the cabinet, so that the compound system really works! Simply just thick and massive board? Cabinet end mounnting is fine. You can use them as stereo or LFE mono. Mono needs only one amp, drivers in series or parallelly.

I made a huge benh subwoofer a year ago. I have a slot with push-pull configuration, sealed chambers A bench style cabinet subwoofer 2x15 closed

SLS require large boxes, not well suited for this. I would usePpeerless XXLS 10" or SEAS L26ROY instead. Dayton RS subs are good too, but almost as expensive here in Europe.

Hide this!Advertise here!