crossover help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 16th February 2014, 04:08 PM   #1
Banned

Default crossover help

can someone do me a quick 4th order linkwitz riley crossover? what information about the drivers do I need to give in order to do this? Its a 2 way.
I want to crossover at about 2khz

Old 16th February 2014, 04:36 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I'm going to provide you with a quote from Troels Graveson's speaker website:

Quote:
Most common mails go like this: "I have these and these drivers; can you please make me with a crossover?" I can't, because to make a crossover I need this:

- Frequency response and phase from actual drivers mounted on actual front panel.
- Impedance/electrical phase of all drivers mounted in actual cabinet.
- Acoustic distance from drivers to suggested listening point.
- In short: I need your finished speakers on my workshop bench.

In very few cases I may have the actual drivers and a suitable test cabinet and I can set up the drivers and do what's described above. We're then into diy-service work and it usually takes 5-15 hours depending on overall complexity. This only provides a crossover that actually works on some basic parameters like frequency response, phase integration, power response, etc., but no guarantee it also sounds good.

The question is whether we can make a crossover at all without measurements
- and the answer is NO. It cannot be done, and crossovers cannot be calculated.
crossovers It's a good idea to read the whole page.

It's likely that the majority of of replies you're going to get on this subject will contain one, most, or all of the objections outlined above. The only exception might be if someone's happened to make a speaker with the same two drivers you have. Have you searched online for projects using one or both of your drivers?

Last edited by chazdrumzalot; 16th February 2014 at 04:43 PM.

Old 16th February 2014, 04:55 PM   #3
Banned

Filter & Crossover Types for Loudspeakers | Audioholics

here it says 4th order: Is the least sensitive to driver misalignment.

electrical phase mounted in the cabinet? Makes no different if its mounted or not.

your answer is not the one I was looking for. And if you think you cant do crossovers without measurements, why is the first topic in this forum titled:
Introduction to designing crossovers without measurement?

Old 16th February 2014, 04:57 PM   #4
Banned

All I want is a 4th order linkwirz riley at 2khz. Its not rocket science. I was thinking if i provided further information about the impedances of the drivers, the crossover could be even better optimised. I'm not interested in pessimistic answers telling me it can't be done.

Old 16th February 2014, 06:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilun View Post
All I want is a 4th order linkwirz riley at 2khz. Its not rocket science. I was thinking if i provided further information about the impedances of the drivers, the crossover could be even better optimised. I'm not interested in pessimistic answers telling me it can't be done.
If its not rocket science then why can't you do it yourself....

Old 16th February 2014, 06:42 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

Thread closed to prevent feelings of consternation. lilun, please do some basic research on crossovers before coming here and asking the members to simply knock up a 4th order LR.

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!