BMS 4550 or B&C DE250

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for that nice link.

I read in this thread that "Even Earl Geddes and other speaker designers did testing on them. They're good to go."

I would normally not critique someone else's product, but this case is unique. That's because what the author failed to note was that I rejected his product. This quote makes it sound like I approved of it. Using my name is one thing, but claiming I said the opposite of what I actually said is unacceptable.

I caught that too.

Just an FYI. I've used the SEOS 10 and these CDs seem overkill. Also, beware the SEOS 10 starts to lose directivity below about 1800hz. It's significantly smaller than the 12. Nice WG though. I used diysoundgroup's DNA-205.

Where does the SEOS12 start to lose directivity?

I am bound to the smaller dimensions in my home theater but not for my living room system. WAF falls off sharply for the SEOS12.

Can someone decipher these:

SEOS10Flat_zpsef4d4359.jpg

SEOS10Cyl_zps15c3dfd1.jpg

Originally posted by Bwaslo on avsforum.

I was told these SEOS10's were fine down to 1400hz. If not, I can buy the SEOS12's and cut them down and mold them into the cabinets like the beautiful Geddes speakers are before paint.

Last edited:
The SEOS 10 is probably fine down to 1400hz, but it's not holding it's pattern as well. Those graphs make it look like it's holding pattern down to 1khz or lower. The SEOS 12 managed a lot better for me, like 1khz before it blew up. The SEOS 10 has some directivity left over around 1400hz, but not like that graph appears.

Do you have Bill's post handy? I wonder how the WG was mounted, that little wrinkle at 1400hz around -10db makes me wonder if some diffraction effects aren't contributing to the directivity. Also, the axial response looks -3db there. So ya, the -6db point looks about 45 degrees there in those charts, but that doesn't really match what I was getting. Maybe I screwed up :)

I crossed to a 10" woofer around 1500hz with mine. The blending of the narrowing woofer and widening waveguide worked out fine. So yes, no problem there. Just compared to the SEOS 12 which firmly held directivity down to 1khz, it's quite different.

I just received my SEOS10 wave guides that I got really cheap by going in on the group buy. The quality is just awesome.

I need to buy compression drivers and want either the BMS 4550 or B&C DE250. The cost is irrelevant to me and I want the one that has better sound quality in a loud music system that is also used for home theater. They cant be wide so I went with the 10" WG to couple to two FaitalPRO 8PR200 8" drivers in a TMM at around 1400hz. The system has a ton of EQ so I dont care which is flatter. Its also an active system so experimenting with crossover is easy.

FaitalPRO 8PR200 8" Neodymium Professional Woofer 16 Ohm | 294-1176

I know the BMS is a tank and handles power, play efficiently, and crosses lower than I need. I prefer this driver but I have read that it has a big peak high in freq that annoys some. Is this an issue? While I can flatten the response, a big peak up there may be the result of something that EQ alone doesn't fix.

I know Geddes prefers and uses the DE250. His vote carries weight with me. I am not however running a speaker company needing to constantly buy drivers so cost and availability arent a concern. If all else is similar, I'm leaning toward the BMS.

Thank in advance for your input.

I would personally recommend the BMS 4540ND, or one of the JBL compression drivers that offer some refinements on the BMS ring radiator design. (Basically JBL sells some ring radiators that are very similar to BMS, but the phase plug is different.)

I am too lazy to walk to the garage to get the part number, but I've posted some threads on it here.

Here's a list of reasons why I would go with the JBL:

1) The JBL has a smaller diaphragm, and the smaller diaphragm extends the high frequency response and improves the cumulative spectral decay
2) The JBL would NOT be a good match for a low crossover point, but you won't be using a low crossover point because you are not using a large waveguide. With your 10" waveguide you're probably looking at a crossover point of 1350hz or so, and the JBL works fine for that xover. If you were using a 15" waveguide and a 900hz crossover the BMS 4550 or the B&C DE250 would make more sense.
3) The JBL is cheaper.

Here's my experience with these:

I have some Gedlee Summas here with the DE250, some homebrew Synergy horns that are a work in progress that use the JBL*, my old car used the BMS 4540ND.

* http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/244508-monster-massive-9.html

** Creating The Perfect Soundstage - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

The consensus was that there is little difference between comp drivers. I bought the BMS 4550 for its greater power handling and low end extension. This may one day be more important as the one constant of this hobby is that you will build another system one day which may one day make use of these qualities with a bigger WG. The rest of the specs indicated more efficiency, less distortion down low, and more extension up top. If these differences are irrelevant then the only thing hurt was the cost which was irrelevant to me. I saw nothing that showed anything being a short coming for the BMS. People who have it have no complaint.

It already shipped so I will play with it with some mid-bass drivers to see how a various crosses sound with it.

Thanks for all the input.

Am I missing something here? You guys keep talking about the higher SPL's of the BMS over the B&C (DE250)
Are we not attenuating the crap out of our Compression drivers to match the substantially lower output of our ten inch woofer, anyway ?

Thanks
Terry:confused:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Am I missing something here? You guys keep talking about the higher SPL's of the BMS over the B&C (DE250)
Are we not attenuating the crap out of our Compression drivers to match the substantially lower output of our ten inch woofer, anyway ?
Terry,

The VHF level of a compression driver on a constant directivity horn or waveguide may be as much as 10-15 dB lower than mid band, which may be similar sensitivity as a 10" driver.
So while the compression driver's midrange needs attenuation, it is common to use a HF capacitor bypassing the attenuation pad, the driver running "wide open" up high.

Art

Art is correct here. In my systems the DE250 just makes the passband level of the system at 10 kHz. If its sensitivity were lower then I would have to pad out the woofer. This is only going to be true for a true CD system. A horn that beams at HFs won't have this problem so you may not see it in practice depending on how well your horn/waveguide can hold CD at HFs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.