How to open Zenith Allegro 3000

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I have a pair of Zenith Allegro 3000 that I wanted to open.
It isn't the version with screws and is just sealed shut.
I heard good things about taking off the back off of the cabinets but how would I be able to do so?

I looked at pictures of them on eBay and it appears that the boxes are typical totally glued shut and the internal access is through the woofer cutout.

The way you take off the back is with a saw but if the system is properly designed you'll screw it up royally.

If you want OB speakers, why not look into kits that are intended to work that way?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Taking the back off could do a few things.. ie Change the way they interact with the room, give them a spacious sound and reduce the bass. Without taking the back off you could more or less achieve the first by pushing them back or pulling them out of the room corners.

The spaciousness you could sort of manage by putting them near or pointing them toward the walls.

The lack of bass would be unnatural but could be an improvement if there was a problem there to begin with as it might clean up the midrange.

If you want to try open back, you might get a large woofer (15" is a reasonable size to begin with) on a sturdy open baffle and equalise it to bring the bass back.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.