Best material for baffle to help diffraction?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm currently on my first project, a pair of 2-way bookshelfs using Seas drivers.

I'm been reading a lot of stuff on Troels Gravesen and other sites about diffraction and believe diffraction is a integral part in the dispersion of tweeters. I will flush mount the tweeter and flare off the edges of baffle.

Anyone had good results from using rubberised paint, Houston finishes, cork or even having a left to right curve on top of the baffle. Thanks.

Rubbers are unlikely to absorb very well. Thick felt is pretty good.

It's worth experimenting with the geometry of the absorber- in my last MTMs, thick felt strips with spaces between them worked better than a uniform felt treatment. I've also seen people use star-shaped cut-outs and stepped layers, which seem to be excellent ideas.

I understand you don't want to go this route. I used some and it really tamed down sibulance in my case, I covered large areas including baffle edges. speaker carpet - Parts Express Ships Fast and Ships Free.

The stuff for dj is a little different, it has a vinyl under ply.

Chances are you have ventured across this it goes over felt, driver alignment steps among other. Not for the faint of heart (it ain't too pretty) Diffraction Doesn't Have to be a Problem

I dont really mind the felt tbh if it made a improvement in sound, am not too fussed on the look, thanks for pointing out the dj felt is different.

I came across that link only a few days ago thats what made me think about felt strips, am i right in thinking the felt cant be painted or dyed?

You may get away with using some type of dye. Paints on the other hand will dry to a hard shell changing its composition. I cant see it being as effective. Check out some fabric shops for dyes, they may even carry pre dyed felt that's suitable.

Last edited:
I use a black dye at work for spraying car floor carpets i could give it go and have a try in different positions around the tweeter like your link.

I always thought why the likes of Harbeth can get away with their baffles and still sound good but later learned their crossovers were designed with it in mind.

I've got to redesign my xover anyway so do you think i should finish my baffle first?

I use a black dye at work for spraying car floor carpets i could give it go and have a try in different positions around the tweeter like your link.

I always thought why the likes of Harbeth can get away with their baffles and still sound good but later learned their crossovers were designed with it in mind.

I've got to redesign my xover anyway so do you think i should finish my baffle first?

Make baffle, measure, on and off axis. Add dampening, measure using same criteria in previous test. Compare preliminary results. Tweak, tweak and tweak again with even more measurements. Design crossover accordingly.

What about Harbeth speakers? They don't use felt or rounded edges. The edges are stepped which I would have thought makes diffraction worse. Maybe diffraction is not always bad. Harbeth are highly rated by audiophiles.

Precisely my point about the Herbeths, no rounded edges or felt i presumed it would make the diffraction worse, yet the xover was designed to somehow not make diffraction a problem or so i presume hence the high regards from audiophiles, or like you said (and alot of others) diffraction may not always be bad. Yet i think its worth i test.

what's the answer to how much rounding is best? If you look at the research of olson you will see that a sphere was the best. You cant get any rounder than that. So the answer is, the more rounder it is, the closer it is to a sphere and therefore the closer to perfection.

regards,

lilun

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.