crossover hook-up cable lengths

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all.

A basic question for most I know but here goes... :)

I'm building some crossovers and because of the way that the components arranged the positive input and the negative input cables could be different lengths approximately 3" on the positive and 6" on the negative.

Does having different lengths make any difference? Or should I make them equal?

Thanks

Last edited:

it is way to much for music applications. It is important for stuff that works at high frequency like radars and so on. Not much use for speakers, and here is why. Any crossover calculations assume that we have Zout ( Amplifier) = 0 and any speaker is active load. That is it. Who is trying to calculate by including all real and unreal factors basically forgets that best speakers have total distortion level of around 4%. :hphones::hphones::hphones:

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Devils,
I don't know? Source impedance is often negligible (and is often ignored regardless).. but sometimes it isn't. For every 'j' there is an 'i' :D

Ringo,
Electricity travels at around the speed of light, which explains away the distance. There will be a small change in the resistance and reactance found around the cable but it isn't a significant concern with audio. All that normally matters with speaker cabling is clean connections.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.