D2905/9500 vs D2608/9130 question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The 913000 is actually a lightly revised version of what was the Peerless HDS unit. The 9500 has been around for donkey's years and remains an excellent driver. Slightly larger & higher power-handling. Both are very good tweeters. As for whether the price difference is justified, depends on your definition, and is also application dependent. The 9500 probably just about edges it if you're not crossing particularly low, but the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

Last edited:
diypass,

just for fun, you could ask yourself why SS8545?
Would it be worth the money ?

Personally, if I were to buy SS, I would get me
8545 or 8535 with a classic line tweeter 2905.

D2608 would be a good partner to a cheaper woofer
like Peerless SDS or HDS line. No special reason.

Going further, why not choose Vifa XT25 ring.

I am not talking about how would sound either of
these because it would mostly depend on a design
as a whole.

The 9130 is a superior device offering higher sensitivity, lower distortion, easier dome/coil replacement and imo visuals.

The reason for it being cheaper? In my opinion this is because the driver came first as a released product on the Peerless line that was designed to fit in with the rest of their HDS series. Scanspeak then decided they wanted to release a Denmark made version and did so, but obviously they couldn't make it astronomically more expensive otherwise no one would buy it.

Face it, it's a very well designed, by any standards, dome tweeter with excellent build quality and cast metal parts. Every other Scan tweeter with similar specs costs a lot more. If this hadn't been the Peerless tweeter first, it'd probably be priced much higher.

FWIW I own both the 95 and 9130.

No, the 9130 isn't the equal of the top line Scan tweeters, and by this I mean the illuminator and recent revelator products, but it is better than the old 'classic' range. Much like the 7" revelators are superior to the old classic 7" Scan drivers.

Compared to the rest of Scans lineup the 9130 is a bit of an oddity, as in it doesn't really fit in anywhere. It's not part of a range, nor does it have any similar varients, like all of their other drivers do. It just 'is'. Which suits me fine though. It'd be great if they'd release versions with different dome materials.

They don't sound anything, the way they sound is how you make them sound via the xover.

They are both low distortion, extended range tweeters. The 9130 is better objectively and significantly cheaper. To me that seems like a no brainer. Or putting it another way, having used both, I wouldn't see the point in buying the 9500 for a project when the 9130 exists.

D9500 are much more labour intensive to make, lots of handmade operations, like coating and gluelines where needed. The old D29 series have the most rugged cone/voicecoil assembly, It can take the most power of all Scan tweeters. Also the voicecoil have flexibe litzes to the terminals, but the 9130 have the copper voicecoil wires leadout as litzes to the terminals, they break a lot easier with excursion. Take a look at there datasheets. To make there power handling the 9130 takes a lot higher crossover frequency. Belive me I did the power testing....
The 9130 is still a very good driver, and it will probably take a lot more power with normal music signals, instead of IEC test signal. I have never heard of anybody breaking them. A benefit to the copperwire lead out, is that it is lighter, so higher sensitivity is easier to do. In my eyes it is two good, but different tweeters. I really feel both are worth there price. Even more, than "real highend tweeters" with exotic materials and designer parts.

They don't sound anything, the way they sound is how you make them sound via the xover.

If this statement is true, then we are talking about perfect drivers, but since the perfect driver does not exist, each one has its own influence on the sound which you can not change no matter how hard you try.

I've read somewhere that the 9130's sound is somewhat cool and rigid compared to the more expensive SS tweeters.
Does anyone have this kind of experience?

If this statement is true, then we are talking about perfect drivers, but since the perfect driver does not exist, each one has its own influence on the sound which you can not change no matter how hard you try.

I've read somewhere that the 9130's sound is somewhat cool and rigid compared to the more expensive SS tweeters.
Does anyone have this kind of experience?
When comparing tweeters of the calibre of a 9130 the only audible differences with the crossover in place are subtle differences in the frequency response - non linear distortion is basically non-existent.

The Scan Speak D2608/913000 is the better tweeter as it does detail and "so called air" better. However it takes a lot more work in the crossover whereas the 27TDFC is easy to use and forgiving as well as robust which is one reason why it's been very popular in the DIY community.

If you want to hide some nasties in the recording or partnering equipment, then the 27TDFC would be the better option as it has less bite. Maybe that's what you want when you mentioned smoother and softer. IMO the 27TFFC is better than the 27TDFC.

Hello
Thank you. If there is a tweeter in order to need a lot of tweak to get good results so not the cup of my tea. According to TDFC or TFFC I heard many different stories and a bit confusing. I am 100% sure that both are good tweeters and better than my current Monacor DT-254 that I don't like so much due to harsh and edgy hot top end. Only issue whether a 6 ohm tweeter will be suitable for the 8 ohm L-Pad potentiometers or not. This is a Vintage speaker. Maybe I have to look after only 8 ohm versions? Well, I cannot see problem but maybe somebody can explain better.
Regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.