Richard Allan Pavane Crossovers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I have a pair of mark 1 Richard Allan Pavanes which sound very nice but at some point the crossovers have been changed for modern and quite cheap versions. As part of the restoration and upgrade process I'd like to make some upgraded crossovers for these units.

Does anyone have schematic for the original crossovers and if possible component values too? I cant seem to find any tech info on these vintage units anywhere. I also need to know the crossover frequencies. The only figures I've seen are for a similar Richard Allan product which if I remember correctly were 1khz and 5khz but that may not apply to my speakers.

Many thanks

Last edited:
I'm thinking the crossover frequencies would be somewhere in the region of 800hz, low to mid and 4 to 5khz HF. Could anyone recommend a good but not too expensive crossover design which I may be able to adapt to my Pavannes.

One thing I may try is using my BSS mini drive to act as the crossover and set the crossover frequencies by ear. I could then design a crossover based on my findings taking into consideration the individual driver resistance.

Hi,

Three Way 150W Crossover 12dB/Octave | Maplin

Is probably the best of the poor choices available.

I'd try contacting Falcon Acoustics, they may have some idea.

TBH old 12" 8" and 4" drivers are going to be very tricky to
design a decent crossover for and nothing off the shelf is
likely to work well.

rgds, sreten.

448498-richard_allen_speakers.jpg

Is the midrange sealed off ?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Try 400Hz and 3KHz, the tweeter may need L-pad resistors to set level.

The first order cascaded topology shown interacts with the drivers
quite differently to 1st order parallel, it may or may not work well,
but will almost certainly be better than 1st order parallel.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.