Pioneer TS-W34C 12'' sub for a dipole - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2003, 05:16 AM   #1
static is offline static  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Pioneer TS-W34C 12'' sub for a dipole

Hi
I've been looking for sub drivers locally and for cheap, to experiment (and possibly like the final result) with building a dipole sub.
This one is currently on sale, but i am not sure if it is good for dipole application. Its Qts : 0.64 and XMax is 28mm.

The fullest specs i could find of the driver are here:

http://bizrate.lycos.com/marketplace...--7391392.html

I plan to build an H-baffle dipole, but to situate drivers horizontally (not vertically like in Orions) - is it ok, or its gotta be vertical?

Thanks
Alex
Old 31st December 2003, 10:15 AM   #2
Volenti is offline Volenti  Australia
diyAudio Member

I don't know where they got that QTS but I'm certain it's not right for that model,I don't have that model in my database at home (I do at work though) but I recall it being around .3, you can however use the "F" series in dipole, since they're designed for IB use and have a suitable QTS for dipole use.

example

Horozontal configuration will be fine.
Old 31st December 2003, 10:23 AM   #3
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Where do you find the T/S parameters for the Pioneers? I can't see them on that link.
Old 31st December 2003, 11:41 AM   #4
Volenti is offline Volenti  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuk
Where do you find the T/S parameters for the Pioneers? I can't see them on that link.

The F series aren't supplied with T/S parameters that I recall, you have to test them, I can't recall their exact QTS but it's high, over 0.5
Old 31st December 2003, 01:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
got to:
http://bizrate.lycos.com/marketplace...--7391392.html

and in that table, around half way of the table, under features: the only entry is Qts: 0.64

It is strange however that Pioneer own website does not have that parameter. It seems to be the bottom line of their Premium car subs.

Thanks
Alex
Old 31st December 2003, 07:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Well, I decided to bite the bullet and get them (on special for $63 CAN (1US = 1.3CAN))
Comparing to my Peerless CSX series in my main speakers these look quite dinky and the downside is that Fs of these appears to be ~29Hz (is it really all that bad? , can i still get under 29Hz with EQ?)

Also It says on the box that they are for in-box use (i guess as opposed to in free air) - so thats another thing i am worried about. Overexcursion - is there a cure?
Qts is 0.65 so i guess its fine.

The cone got a thick plastic centre circle and thats what makes the sub look dinky to me.
The surrounding is foam and pretty wide, comparing to other subs i saw there.

I have a month to evaluate them and return if i dont like them. To protect myself from them blowing, while working in the free air, I got the extra 3year warranty (for like $25US extra for both), so I'm covered there.

I'm afraid to be dissapointed with those in the final H-baffled dipole, but i guess there is only one way to find out - is to try and see.

<Your comments here>

Thanks
Alex
Old 1st January 2004, 09:34 AM   #7
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Well apart gfrom the fact that Volenti questioned that Qts parameter, they should be worth a try in the baffles.

Looks like you are the man for the job!

Hide this!Advertise here!