Please help to choose a small 3" woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I currently have a SONOS Play 5 on top of my fridge, to serve our kitchen.

I am usually underwhelmed by the Play 5, and have been wandering how to do better with DIY.

I have a pair of Jordan JXR6HD, which I bought to build a slim FAST floorstander. I am unlikely to build this now, as I have moved out of the office that they were intended for.

The FAST idea still appeals, and I recently came across this digital 2.1 amp, from hifimediy that could make the whole concept work easily: Hifimediy DDX320v2.2 2.1 Digital Amplifier

What I had in mind was a bit like a soundbar, but considerably deeper. It does need to be discreet from the front, so a maximum of about 10-15cm high. It could be up to 80 cm wide, and up to 80 cm deep.

My idea was to put the fullrange Jordan units at either end of the front baffle, and fill the middle with 3" woofers (or fullrangers performing as woofers).

F WWWW F

My proposed design would be able to accomodate 4x, or 6x 3" woofers.

The woofers would be crossed over at around 200Hz, and would be mono. The Jordan units would be high passed at the same frequency, by the digital amp.

I would use a SONOS Connect as a digital source.

Does this sound like a good idea? Any pitfalls that I have not considered?

The main reason for this post is to choose a 3" driver for the low frequencies.

Candidates so far:

Aurasound NS3-193-8A: The Madisound Speaker Store

Tang Band W3-1876S: Tang Band W3-1876S 3" Mini Subwoofer | 264-909

Dayton Audio ND91: Dayton Audio ND91-8 3-1/2" Aluminum Cone Full-Range Driver 8 | 290-226

Any other possibilities? Happy to keep cost low.

I had thought that I could use Passive radiators (one per LF driver) located on the rear: The Madisound Speaker Store

Yep. It is for visual design constraints.

This is unlikley to be a high output device.

Thanks for your suggestions.

So far, I am leaning towards the Aurasounds. The Tangband's go lower, but the Aurasounds would have better alternative uses, if this project sounds £$%".

Tangband frequency response: http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w3-1876s.htm

Aurasound frequency response: The Madisound Speaker Store

Never used any of their drivers but they seem to be fairly popular in the german audio press (Klang+Ton etc).

Mivoc has some very good drivers in their line up. The small inverse cone is sadly not one of them...(i was disapointed to, really like the combination of look and "tsp sheet performance" Their small 80 Watt plate amp for example, is superb for the price.

Have you got enough clearage to top or bottom mount a driver? Consider this if you can - Tang Band W5-1138SM 5-1/4" Neodymium Subwoofer | 264-831. And actually, the cut-out for that driver is only 120mm so there might be a chance it'll even fit on your front baffle? Two of those in series would do the trick quite nicely in somewhere between 14 - 20L. See this also - Voxel - a mini-sub+. Maybe even 1 will do if you don't need high SPL's.

If you must choose between the Aura and the Dayton, I have some the 91-8's and can recommend them. I chose them instead of the Auras because I'm sort of doing something similar to you - pairing them with a smaller fullranger that's better in the higher frequencies, http://www.parts-express.com/fountek-fr58ex. The Aura has a smoother FR than the Dayton but if you're not using it above 200Hz then that kind of becomes moot. The 91-8 on the other hand has a little lower Fs and an added copper ring which lowers distortion, but I haven't heard the Auras so I can't compare. But I do have a couple of the Daytons in an EBS alignment, 10L tuned to 40Hz with two 3.8mm x 33mm ports with heavy fill and they do actually hit that low of 40Hz before dropping like a stone. With an EBS alignment though, you lose about 4dB down around the 40Hz so you might want to find out what frequencies that amp's 3 bass boost circuits will augment. Or you could just run them in a normal alignment tuned to about 60 - 70Hz. Four of them series/parallel will help to keep them cleaner and excursion lower but Greebster is right - drivers that small are not going to go that low super cleanly.

As regards the PR, you'll need 2 of them for each of the Auras or Daytons to get a good FR and not exceed their excursion limits. Since you have a fair amount of volume to work with, I would just go vented with the longer ports necessary. Less expensive too.

Have to say I'd definately be looking at an upwards firing single bass unit, especially as the cost of 4 tang bands and passive radiators is at least $140, you can save $40 and buy a scan speak discovery, which'll do everything you want and more...
The Madisound Speaker Store

personally I'd try and cross as low as possible though, maybe closer to 100Hz if you can.

All that said, if you really can't use the top space, the 3" tang bands in a ported cabinet are a no-brainer.

Have you got enough clearage to top or bottom mount a driver? Consider this if you can - Tang Band W5-1138SM 5-1/4" Neodymium Subwoofer | 264-831. And actually, the cut-out for that driver is only 120mm so there might be a chance it'll even fit on your front baffle? Two of those in series would do the trick quite nicely in somewhere between 14 - 20L.

I would really like to be close to the 10cm baffle height rather than the 15cm end of the spectrum. These drivers on the front baffle would require 16cm. Not impossible. I could use a pair down-firing. Would this be possible? The magnets would be very close to the top of the chamber. This project is for use in the kitchen. The top of the fridge gets pretty yucky with cooking deposits/dust, so I would not want a driver facing upwards.

As regards the PR, you'll need 2 of them for each of the Auras or Daytons to get a good FR and not exceed their excursion limits. Since you have a fair amount of volume to work with, I would just go vented with the longer ports necessary. Less expensive too.

I will not have enough real estate for 2PRs per driver. The sd of the PR is 50.2cm2, whilst the Aura and Tang are 31cm2 and 27cm2 respectively. I thought that this would be fine??? I could go ported, but I feel that there is more opportunity for mistakes. Would 1 litre sealed work? A guy on PE has used the Tangs in 4"x4"x4" (1 litre) sealed with success.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.