Please help to choose a small 3" woofer - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2014, 06:22 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
Never used any of their drivers but they seem to be fairly popular in the german audio press (Klang+Ton etc).
Mivoc has some very good drivers in their line up. The small inverse cone is sadly not one of them...(i was disapointed to, really like the combination of look and "tsp sheet performance" Their small 80 Watt plate amp for example, is superb for the price.
Old 5th February 2014, 06:26 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Perfect!
I've been considering doing the exact same thing (a flat sub of multiple 3" units). Also I'd much prefer a solution with the Aurasounds NS3 for the exact same reason you mentioned.

I found an image of an 8 x NS3 sealed sub here DIY mini subwoofers - Canuck Audio Mart but was unable to find any additional details on the built.
Old 5th February 2014, 06:41 PM   #13
jReave is offline jReave  Canada
diyAudio Member

Have you got enough clearage to top or bottom mount a driver? Consider this if you can - Tang Band W5-1138SM 5-1/4" Neodymium Subwoofer | 264-831. And actually, the cut-out for that driver is only 120mm so there might be a chance it'll even fit on your front baffle? Two of those in series would do the trick quite nicely in somewhere between 14 - 20L. See this also - Voxel - a mini-sub+. Maybe even 1 will do if you don't need high SPL's.

If you must choose between the Aura and the Dayton, I have some the 91-8's and can recommend them. I chose them instead of the Auras because I'm sort of doing something similar to you - pairing them with a smaller fullranger that's better in the higher frequencies, http://www.parts-express.com/fountek-fr58ex. The Aura has a smoother FR than the Dayton but if you're not using it above 200Hz then that kind of becomes moot. The 91-8 on the other hand has a little lower Fs and an added copper ring which lowers distortion, but I haven't heard the Auras so I can't compare. But I do have a couple of the Daytons in an EBS alignment, 10L tuned to 40Hz with two 3.8mm x 33mm ports with heavy fill and they do actually hit that low of 40Hz before dropping like a stone. With an EBS alignment though, you lose about 4dB down around the 40Hz so you might want to find out what frequencies that amp's 3 bass boost circuits will augment. Or you could just run them in a normal alignment tuned to about 60 - 70Hz. Four of them series/parallel will help to keep them cleaner and excursion lower but Greebster is right - drivers that small are not going to go that low super cleanly.

As regards the PR, you'll need 2 of them for each of the Auras or Daytons to get a good FR and not exceed their excursion limits. Since you have a fair amount of volume to work with, I would just go vented with the longer ports necessary. Less expensive too.
Old 5th February 2014, 07:28 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

But that copper shorting ring is useless below 200Hz and only helps in the upper range your not using. But I digress, I'd choose and do the same
Old 5th February 2014, 08:26 PM   #15
jReave is offline jReave  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greebster View Post
But that copper shorting ring is useless below 200Hz and only helps in the upper range your not using. But I digress, I'd choose and do the same
Well, in my mind they're cleaner.

Toss a coin then between the 2 I guess. Still, I'd be looking at the TB 5" first.
Old 5th February 2014, 09:01 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Have to say I'd definately be looking at an upwards firing single bass unit, especially as the cost of 4 tang bands and passive radiators is at least $140, you can save $40 and buy a scan speak discovery, which'll do everything you want and more...
The Madisound Speaker Store

personally I'd try and cross as low as possible though, maybe closer to 100Hz if you can.

All that said, if you really can't use the top space, the 3" tang bands in a ported cabinet are a no-brainer.
Old 6th February 2014, 12:14 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

+1 on the Fountek 89EX. I'm playing around with a little 2way that will use the Fountek 89EX with a Vifa OT19NC00-04 .I should have them loaded up in a couple weeks and should be able to pontificate.
David
Old 6th February 2014, 12:56 AM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jReave View Post
If you must choose between the Aura and the Dayton...
...leep in mind that the Daytons are made by Aura using the same tech.

dave
Old 6th February 2014, 08:31 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
...leep in mind that the Daytons are made by Aura using the same tech.

dave
I'm sorry- but this indeed incorrect. Aura does not make the ND drivers. They are a copy, and are made in a totally different build house.

The tech is similar, but maybe not identical.

Later,
Wolf
Old 6th February 2014, 02:25 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Have you got enough clearage to top or bottom mount a driver? Consider this if you can - Tang Band W5-1138SM 5-1/4" Neodymium Subwoofer | 264-831. And actually, the cut-out for that driver is only 120mm so there might be a chance it'll even fit on your front baffle? Two of those in series would do the trick quite nicely in somewhere between 14 - 20L.
I would really like to be close to the 10cm baffle height rather than the 15cm end of the spectrum. These drivers on the front baffle would require 16cm. Not impossible. I could use a pair down-firing. Would this be possible? The magnets would be very close to the top of the chamber. This project is for use in the kitchen. The top of the fridge gets pretty yucky with cooking deposits/dust, so I would not want a driver facing upwards.

Quote:
As regards the PR, you'll need 2 of them for each of the Auras or Daytons to get a good FR and not exceed their excursion limits. Since you have a fair amount of volume to work with, I would just go vented with the longer ports necessary. Less expensive too.
I will not have enough real estate for 2PRs per driver. The sd of the PR is 50.2cm2, whilst the Aura and Tang are 31cm2 and 27cm2 respectively. I thought that this would be fine??? I could go ported, but I feel that there is more opportunity for mistakes. Would 1 litre sealed work? A guy on PE has used the Tangs in 4"x4"x4" (1 litre) sealed with success.

Last edited by dublin78; 6th February 2014 at 02:38 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!