Woofer Suggestions For PR170MO?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been playing with the PR170MO based on the positive things I've read about it here and am so far liking it a lot. My question is basically how to handle the lower frequencies. I don't necessarily want to go the powered woofer route, but if that's the only option, so be it.
I initially thought that I could double up on some 90dB 6.5" or 8" woofers and gain enough output to keep up with the mid so the final design could be relatively slim, but my initial testing tells me that it won't work well.
I'd like to hear what anybody can suggest in the way of a woofer that will match well with the PR170MO. I don't plan on spending an arm or a leg on this, but any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks.

When working with these high sensitivity drivers, it can
open up a can of worms for the designer.

For simplicity, you would have to get dual 8" or 10"
woofers that have good sonics up to ~300hz, perhaps
L-pad the midrange for better level matching, unless
you want to go into the realm of seperate amplifiers. /hehe

Is this your plan?
Tweeter (lpad ?)
PR170M0 (lpad ?)
Woofer (8" or 10")
Woofer (8" or 10")

Then add a seperate subwoofer if you desire sub bass.

If so, this should work well. If you seek a more monstrous
system, get a prosound 15" woofer ported (instead of the two
smaller woofers) to play from 40hz to 300hz, then add a
subwoofer.

What tweeter have you chosen that can keep up
with the PR midrange?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Use it with a PHL

Hello,

It goes very well with PHL woofers. 500Hz is the cross frequency I recommend with a 12 or 15 inch PHL. Expect the 170M0 surround to have limited lifetime. I would advise to buy a recone kit and store it in dark and dry place.
A lesser but close sounding mid is PR170Z0 with much better long term survival record.

thylantyr,
I initially wanted to see if I could get away with using parallel 6.5" or 8" woofers or some number of them to obtain enough output so as to not require padding of the 170. As I mentioned, my early tests seem to tell me that it would be very difficult if not impossible to do. I really wanted to end up with a slim cabinet design.
At the moment, I'm using the GR-Research T6 tweeter which is rated at 96dB. It's probably not the best tweeter out there for this, but it's doing a competent job for my purposes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.