another "which speakers should I build" post,,just wanting advice - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2014, 04:19 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default another "which speakers should I build" post,,just wanting advice

I am itching to build for myself again. I currently have enough speakers to make my wife look at me like I've lost my mind when I say I want to "upgrade". I started building a couple years ago with the tri trix vented as my mains,,I have since built 5 more tri-trix sealed for center and surround,,and I have plenty of subwoofer,,2 12" ultimax sealed and a 15" dayton reference vented. I have been building enclosures for a few other people and with that I get to test drive different stuff. I recently built a pair of the tempest 12 speakers for a guy and had them for about a week before he came and picked them up. I would like to build new tower mains for myself. I've been searching and looking at many different projects that are out there. I am not unhappy with what I have now,,but I enjoy the hobby and think I will be able to upgrade. I'm not sure of what my goals should be. Since I have plenty of subwoofer to cover the low end,,I suppose I would want my mains to be able to handle everything else. The statements look very appealing to me as well as a few of the Zaph projects. I would like to find an existing design. I have just recently began looking into crossover design and would not feel confident trying to tackle a "from scratch" design just yet. I see that there are several existing projects sold as kits from various vendors,,this would be convenient,,but not a necessity,,I feel confident that I could work from a plan and piece everything together. My budget?,,I guess $400 is a starting point,,I will expect to go over that,,and that is for components only,,,sooo,,just any advice would be appreciated,,,I have searched quite a bit on this and other forums,,it is nice to have some direct help.
Old 5th February 2014, 09:09 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Rockironwebb,

There is no response yet i think, because the question is a bit to wide and vague. For starters what you like in a speaker is missing... If you have a one seat Monstertruck a small Mini is an upgrade when you need to go shopping. I hope you understand my point. A list of speakers / kits / designs other people like is not very usefull to you. No offense ment.

Last edited by Phenoholic Anonymus; 5th February 2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 5th February 2014, 03:53 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your reply. I understand how my post is lacking. Basically I guess the question I have is,,Since I have the low end covered,,how would people recommend choosing a design for new mains? I see many tower/main designs that have low end goals, I am curious if there are any recommended designs that aim to cover 80-100 hertz up. Would I be wise to invest in better quality mids and highs since I already have subs taken care of.
Old 5th February 2014, 04:18 PM   #4
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Have a look at these:

2-Way Speakers
Old 5th February 2014, 06:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

anyone know of these?
Creative Sound - Product Details
not much detail on this site. I found a couple forum posts pertaining to them,,but no images were available,,so no response graphs.
Old 5th February 2014, 06:11 PM   #6
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

some really good stuff here
Waveguide Speaker kits DIY Sound Group
Old 5th February 2014, 06:14 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I just finished building 2 FUSION-12 TEMPEST and the fusion 8 alchemy for a guy,,it is what got my gears turning on a new build for myself!
Old 6th February 2014, 03:18 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

been through many pages just looking at kits,,so far I've come up with a few options,,that are within my price range.
Creative Sound - Product Details

Fusion-4 Quad4 - Waveguide Speaker Kits DIY Sound Group

Swope Tower /Pr

These 3 appeal to me,,
one thing I'm keeping an eye out for is for center/surround versions of what my mains will be,,for possible(inevitable) future building

A couple of others that jumped out at me

The Madisound Speaker Store

The Madisound Speaker Store

I apologize if this seems like too many,,but,,I would appreciate any thoughts.

Hide this!Advertise here!