Sonus Faber Cremona HYBRID Clone

It sounds to me very good your thoughts _henry_
Does anybody here have eve listened to original cremona's and/or monitor audio GR 60?

I have a pair of the original Cremonas. The crossover looks very simple. My guess is that it's second order between the woofer and mid, and first order between the tweeter and mid. All drivers are wired in phase. Here's a picture of the crossover.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20140129_121153[1].jpg
    20140129_121153[1].jpg
    961.4 KB · Views: 1,442
As I am a newbie, I added a lot of glue and I had to clean a lot….
Later I was doing better, but don’t use such amount of glue…
I don’t want to think about the sanding…

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I started with 5 ribs assembly to test the glue dry time, but then I did 10 ribs pieces because my press tools were not capable for any longer pieces:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Yes, volume in EKTA is about 16 nett liters bigger than mine, but cremonas uses the same woofers and BassBox Pro 6 says that 45-46l volume is enough, and I have 46liters.

I have simulated BB pro 6 like prism box and truncated cylinder and both options give me very close results.
My design is 46l so I guess everything could be ok

The 46l are net liters for bass
There are 4,7 litters for mid/tweeters apart from the 46 bass ones.
The mid/tw camera is sealed and independent from the bass one, and the bass space (even the mids) could be easily increased by adding more ribs (1,5l each one, what makes the enclosure taller) or adding some depth/width to the design.

The profile on the rear was hand cut with a saw, is not difficult if you take care and about 30-40 minutes each big one... The glued DM are very very solid..

You need to drawn the line with a pencil, then with a cutter to guide you and... Saw job.

I have to say I'm amazed your thinking of selling your old speakers and switching to new drivers... when you have a set of drivers and crossover that you're effectively happy with sound wise, I'd be a little nervous about adopting a design I hadn't heard over something I had that I was happy with... just my two cents

Yes I'm as nervous as happy and willing to hear how this adventure sounds like.
Maybe I'm wrong maybe I'm right.... We will see what happens.

Jokerzero, your price is exactly the same I got here in Spain..... Go for that now!!!!

I told you and I tell you once again: any mod you need I can make it very very quickly and as cheap as 0 cost.

Once the body has been built in partial pieces, and before a final assembly of each enclosure, I made the cuts to shape the back side of the speaker.

Now its time to see how this is going on

And to start sanding to make an accurate fitting:

I have to say this is a very important machine. I couldn't imagine how much sandig I would have done if I haven't had it

Again, outstanding job!

have to discuss the overall dimensions and what can be done to get the volume close to 65l without creating a 2 meter high speaker. The other mod would be to the baffle to match the Ekta grande drivers, specification.

The combined budget I have leaves nothing for the finish and a compromise on the crossover component quality, the finish can be done over time so I'm not so worried about that. Substituting wax inductors for air cores is another matter. They charge a big premium for what amounts to wax potting inductors, something done to a guitar pickup for about a £5 premium. That's a topic for another thread, DIY wax potting anyone?

Last edited:
I emailed you drawings for Cremoas/Ekta volumes

Inside volumes are:

Total inside volume: 72,20 liters
Mid/Tweeter Camera: 5,87 liters
Woofers Camera: 66,33 liters

The enclosure is a little bit wider and the height is still 111 cm if using DM 30mm

What drivers will you go for? lets see if we meet and we can help ourselves with the crossover.

That was quick thanks, will look at those tonight!

Was thinking about adding a narrow layer on top with a piano black finish, and finishing more like the Amati Futura which would I think get a better WAF score, not suggesting that there is anything wrong with the current design.

Re drivers I've always liked the SS mids as specified for the EKTA grande, ever since listening to my friends Gamut's. And that build looks to be a very good match from an excellent designer. But as with all things, it a question of cost - I would hit the budget limit with the cab and drivers with that spec so I might have to settle for something less high end and look at upgrading later. Or I blow the budget and finish them on the quiet over the year, crossover components can arrive in lots of little packages :)

Yeh looking at the diagram for the EKTA has an internal volume of 34.8 by 107.8 by 17.6 = 66.025 liters. Mid Tweeter enclosure uses 5.45 liters, leaving 60.57 less bracing port, cross over and drivers for the remainder. I could fill the 'spare' 6 liters with additional bracing, or bolt something heavy to the back of the tweeter enclosure and call it a "tuned mass damper" ;) Its easier to lose volume than find it...