Sonus Faber Cremona HYBRID Clone - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2014, 12:14 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Alberto, these look fantastic.
I’d suggest you get the cabs built, (looks like you are not far off), produce a baffle for the drivers and crossover you have, and then make measurements and report here and on other forums for assessment of the results and suggestions for improvements.

The Monitor drivers will be well matched, and if you have matched the cabinet volume etc then crossover adjustment for the new baffle would be the main factor. To minimise this try to leave the spacing between the drivers close to the same as they are on the old set, and if at all possible the distances from the drivers to the edge of the cabinets. Hopefully the drivers and crossovers can match up.

I would really like to do a set of these, so is there any chance I can convince you to share your CAD drawings for them?

If I do produce a set, I'd be very happy to share crossover and driver data and results etc, I might even be convinced to review the internal volume and rig these for some 18w8531g midwoofers.

Either way - good luck with the build.

Trev

Last edited by JokerZero; 4th February 2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 4th February 2014, 01:32 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

congratulations for the great job.
can you tell us something about their sound?
Old 4th February 2014, 01:37 PM   #13
raelman is offline raelman  Spain
diyAudio Member

Hello, JokerZero.

There's no chance at all you can convince mel to share my drawings.... since I'm glad to share them!

It's been 50 hours CAD drawing but everything is in its perfect position and it's been very very easy to build them (they are already built but not veneered).

Anyway, we need to modify the front pannel depending on your desired drivers and positioning.

I can do it quickly and, again, glad to do it, and more interested if you help me with the crossover.

I can modify internal volumes to match your speakers if you want.
I've checked that those cabinets would accept to build them with the Morel Supreme ST1108 + C-Quence 15H + 2 x SS 18w8531 Cremona's configuration (with a good filter already designed) or to use the Troel's Gravessen EKTA Grande Configuration:
2x18W/8531-G00 + 12M/4631-G00 + R2904/700000 or R2604/832000

I think I'm moving my mind to sell the Monitor Audio set and build the EKTA GRANDE once I have checked that volumes and drivers positioning are compatible....

I'm planning 2x18W/8531-G00 + 12M/4631-G00 + R2604/832000.

You can contact me here or PM
Old 4th February 2014, 01:56 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Sorry missed the above, thanks for the offer on the CAD drawing - now need to get budget and approval for drivers.

You decision sound very good, I seriously doubt anything I could ever come up with would meet Troel's standard - the man is a legend and the builds on his designs speak for themselves.

Once Ive worked out out what getting those cabs cut will cost I will see what I can spend on drivers, I am certain the set for the EKTA GRANDE will sound great, and while your baffle might not match Troel's original design any impact will likely be small, (although he does say you are on your own if you deviate from his baffle design.)

Last edited by JokerZero; 4th February 2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 4th February 2014, 03:04 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
Why don't you do it right and use the correct Scan Speak drivers and a copy of the original crossovers? They might as well sound as good as they look.
I agree
Old 4th February 2014, 03:08 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Ouch - EKTA Grand will cost 1030 for drivers in the UK, Im sure the value is there, but with cross overs that will approach 1700 to 2K. Troel's does not go in for budget components :-)

I find myself wondering if any of Zaphs designs would suit?
Old 4th February 2014, 03:15 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Well the why not to use the original drivers and crosover is because of the money.
My Monitor Audio sounds really good and I'm pretty sure they would do a good job here.

Anyway, I'm planning to sell the M.A. and buy the SS drivers... let's see what happens with the selling and the money
Old 4th February 2014, 03:22 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I agree with you that it is a demanding and expensive, but for the excellent and hard work we put all of my resources to achieve a final speaker spending a little something extra to use the original speakers and a crossover at the height of the situation.
so you'll never regret it
Old 4th February 2014, 03:28 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

You are very right...

Do you know where can I find the original crossover and drivers setting.

I have read a lot about it and there are lots of threads about: if or not the Vifa XT25 or SS R2904... if the C-Quence or the SS 12M/4631-G00 mid... the only thing I'm sure of is the SS 18W/8531-G00 woofers.
Old 4th February 2014, 03:49 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I thought that the original tweeter is custom for Sonus, so unless you have contacts with Sonus or SS, not available for direct purchase, a ring radiator from SS selected to match the 18W8531 is probably as close as you will get, again Troel's EKTA options with the more expensive tweeter R2904/700000 should sound about as good as it gets, only problem is that one is silver when sold over here.

Hide this!Advertise here!