Benefit of fixed resistor LPad over variable LPad?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have built speakers using a high sensitivity tweeter. I have variable LPad set at 8ish attenuation. Is there any advantage in replacing the variable LPad with fixed resistor LPad?

As a subsidiary question: if there is and I measure the resistance of the variable LPad, how does that translate to the series and parallel resistors I will need? Also, do I measure the input of the variable LPad or the output?

If you never adjust the l-pad then replacing them with fixed resistors would be fine if you wish. No reason to do so if the control pad isn't causing problems though. Sometimes the contacts inside get "corrosive" if not turned once in a while and can cause intermittent sound. I'd just note where the control is set as a reference point and twist the knob back and forth a few times maybe every 3 months or so to help keep the contacts clear.

Now if you are really set on replacing it with a set of resistors here's how:

lpad3.gif

Disconnect the l-pad from both the speaker and crossover without disturbing the setting. Using an ohm meter, measure from contact 2 to contact 1. This will be the resistor value (R2)you need to be placed in parallel with the driver. Do the same from contact 3 to contact 2. This will be the value needed for the resistor value (R1)that will be in series with the driver.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Now having gone all through this, you may find that finding the exact values you need may differ slightly or a lot depending on what you measure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.