KEF 103-3 speakers-no Kube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, the site short-circuited me (sorry) and I really need to know if anyone has worked on dumping the Kube idea and just putting L-pads in the woofer/tweeter circuits to tone them down and us a sub-woofer? The speakers are beautifully made, whatwith the nice, factory stands, but my first impression without the Kube (which I did not get with the speakers) was what? Small JBL's? I have some KLH 17's that will eat these for lunch.

Woofer/Tweeter compliment is: B-200 and T33, and I am sure someone has built speakers with these drivers. Thanks in advance. Sorry to offend purists, but I would like to see what these units can do if properly tweeked.

L Pads wouldn't do it. They just need some manner of careful EQ to flatten them out.

The whole theory behind these was that the typical passive crossover network always did 2 things: First it blended the multiple drivers together to get a seamless crossover. Secondly it added all the EQ required to give a flat response and the musical balance we want.

For these models we thought, "Why not do all the EQ externally and just have the crossover blend the units but nothing more?" That means that the systems have a natural response that crowns up through the midrange and low treble but is anything but flat. This maximized system sensitivity but made the external Kube mandatory. Similarly, Rick and I designed a pro monitor (P60 broadcast monitor) that built the EQ into a rack mount Quad amp and sounded real good.

A 1/3rd Octave graphic, carefully adjusted, would get you quite close to the needed curve and could fix your room issues at the same time. Certainly any DSP EQ, in combination with proper measurements, would get you to a way better result than the Kube would (since you would be tackling room modes).

Listening without a Kube or other EQ method is not the way to go, though.

David S.

More on the KEF 103-3's

As luck would have it, I actually found the right Kube on Ebay last night and jumped on it. But the power supply was not with it, nor with the speakers when I bought them. The seller was good enough to call me back and tell me that he did not get the EQ with the speakers. Now I need to source a power supply, and I'm not sure a guy could find one at 18 volts, which I think is what is called for. In addition, the 5-pin DIN plug would have to be attached, and that is going to mean pulling the cabinet from the Kube. Once inside I should be able to see which pins are actually used. Not sure if I need an AC or DC source for the power supply. Any and all help and advice greatly appreciated. I do not relish building a bridge to get the DC, if I need it, but, I man has to do what a man has to do.........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.