Just picked up these DIY Wilmslow 3-Ways of flea bay... sound awful, help please!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So at thiss point I'm thinking I'll use a 100mm postal tube, re-enforced with mdf and with the top of a bottle inside to effectively taper the intrnal volume.

In answer to the previous question, the 1.7. Litre volume was simply chosen as that was the volume of the available manufactured back chamber

nannoo,

don't worry too much over internal volume of the chamber behind
midrange driver. 1,7 or 2,0 litres, does not matter. Your looking
at a big peak at resonant frequency od the driver in a box because
of Qt= 1,7. Gotta stuff the chamber well to kill standing waves
and design XO filter which will effectively deal with Mt. Everest
of the driver at Fc. The more you stuff it, the more will decrease
the output at Fc which is good in your case.

I use LIMP (arta) all the time for free. Just can't save sessions. You can save exported ZMA files.
You can save a screen shot of the impedance plot if you need to.
It works with my old Extigy external soundcard. I had it in storage, and was surprised to see it on the list of known compatible soundcards. So I put it to good use. Measured some woofers that I had the T/S parameters for, and it seems to be really close on all of them. So I am thinking it's good enough.

Ok little update, for a long time I've had the 'option' to build an active system for these speakers - I have a spare 4*120W amp 'laying around'...

Anyway, I was looking at this on ebay and wondered what everybody thinks of it:
NEW ! Linkwitz-Riley OPA2134 2-way active filter by KMTech assembled/tested. | eBay

My thoughts are that with a low cost amp laying around and a high quality active xo seemingly available, I should see a vast improvement in performance if I implemented this as my set up, what does everyone else think? Also what would you guys 'plump' for as xo frequency, as this needs to be specified in advance?
I was thinking around 475...

Last edited:
Hey sreten,

Am aware of the advantages of going active but finances are an issue and knowledge more so - I simply don't know anything about active xo design.

When you say a totally useless x/o do you mean the actual design or the link?

if you search for:

high performance Line-level Active 2-Way Crossover Filter OPA2134 on ebay you'd find it.

If it's a turd please advise why, thanks!

Hi,

Because its simply wrong, and you don't understand the links
I posted. It may be simply the case if you rebuild them properly
the original x/o will be fine, but I'm not going to do that for you.

Though clearly the treble inductor should not be series.

Its a turd because its hardly ever what you really need, and
knowing what you really need has nothing to do with active.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Its a turd because its hardly ever what you really need, and
knowing what you really need has nothing to do with active.

rgds, sreten.

Sorry, I don't know that I fully understand this statement.

In other news, I finally bothered to take the other crossover out of the other speaker today to check out if it had the same mistakes on it.

Not only was it featuring the same 'inductor in series' party we had earlier, both the 5.6uF caps had lost their soldering lugs entirely - they're now just flat faces. Pictures coming up soon... fortunately I have some spare solen MKPs of the same value laying around

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.