Main Speaker Kits (Which Ones?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jaycar still has some JV60 in stock (at least in frankston they do). The loudspeaker kit have a different crossover - it is a 4th order LR IIRC, while the Jaycar crossover is a 2nd order 2.5 way where one of the woofers has the midrange rolled off at 200 Hz. Rather than hunt for the Jaycar JV60, I'd buy the drivers from Wes Components.

I personally have bought the JV60 kit but built a TL box. Anyone who wants to try this can send me an email.

Another thing to consider - the tweeter in the Jv60 will not suit everyone.

regards,
Paul

Another comment ...

if you want to do a DIY TL speaker, then a good idea is to have a go at Martin King's TL Mathcad stuff. Consider having a play before you get drivers and make decisions.

I have been considering selling my TL speakers to make way for other projects. I'm happy with them, but I also have a lot of restless creative energy, and would like to try new things. Send me an email if you are interested.

regards,
Paul

Paul -

Nice page you got there... you've got a dead link on your TL page though - the link to the photo of it points to the file on your hard drive, not on your server (found it anyway - looks nice). I've been considering building myself a pair using those drivers too, but I have neither the tools nor experience, and would have to get a buddy to build the boxes for me (got one about the right size in a council cleanup I might use in the meantime though).

You wouldn't happen to know how much the drivers are at WES, would you? I've found a few other sources online, but WES don't list prices.

Thanks Stu,

I noticed that problem and have just fixed it (I hope) ...

MY TL speakers

Does that one work?

Stu, if you are clever you can build it without too many tools! Get the MDF cut accurately (will cost slightly more), don't recess the drivers so you can just use a router to cut the circles in the front baffle. Then it's a matter of clamping/gluing, then finishing. It can be done without a lot of tools.

I can email some prices to you if you wish.

regards,
Paul

Yes, the link is fixed now...

I had considered getting the MDF and stuff cut like you said, but I wasn't sure how professional I could get it to look with my limited experience... still keeping my options open though.

Don't worry about the prices, I was probably going to get them elsewhere anyway - I can always send them an email myself if i need the prices.

Stumbled onto this thread today. Just an update. I've since sold these speakers to a happy new owner. In the end I padded the tweeter and modded the drivers, I've removed the old website, but it's now replaced with my blog with a write up:

Red Spade Audio: DIY Transmission Line Speakers

The new owner was thrilled with them - he preferred them to everything available at one particular hifi retailer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.