Any DIY project similar in sound to Paradigm Atom?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Whilst I finish deciding (with all of your much appreciated help) which speakers I'm going to build for my audio setup, I want to start another project...

My neighbour has a set of Paradigm Atoms v3's (much like myself)and wants to complete a small HT setup. He knows i'm getting back into the DIY audio and is wondering if there are any kits out there that sound similar enough to the atoms to build a center and rear set to compliment them. Or even similar enough that these can be moved to the rear and new ones built for the front.

Budget is very low due to the cost of the 'off-the-shelf' atoms ($199 CDN / pair).

I know they use a Vifa 3/4" tweeter but do not know which. I assume that I can find a vifa mid that sounds similar enough to the paradigm's driver.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I've built the Modula MT, and spent less than $400 doing so- including buying the premade cabinets. If you already have tools for making cabinets and can get wood cheaply, then you can build a pair for well under $300.

They have excellent midrange, and even though I haven't heard the Atom, I can tell you that their bass absolutely destroys the Atom. How could it not? The atom uses a 5.5" woofer, and the Modula MT uses a 7" woofer with relatively long Xmax. I may be exhibiting some prejudice here, but I don't think anybody who's heard both will take issue with it. The Modulas have been compared favorably with far more expensive speakers.

Oh yeah- so, are they similar in sound? I don't know, I guess if you want something that's similar in sound, there are things out there that use small poly cone woofers and 3/4" tweeters... but if I had the space, no way would I switch from what I've got now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.