DIY speaker questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
dear all,
i got a pair of speaker boxes from my friend, and i want to use it to make a pair of speaker, but i just have the box, and i need to choose which tweeter , woofer and crossover i use.

the tweeter must be 4 inch in diameter
the woofer must be 6.5 inch in diameter

height : 15 inch
width : 7.5 inch
depth : 13.5 inch

2 way system

and there is a hole at the back of the box, the hole is 3 inch in diameter

so any recommanded tweeter, woofer and crossover.
or any software that can help?
thanks

Attachments

• speaker.jpg
    speaker.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 186
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Couple of things.

1. See if you can work out the internal dimentions of the box so you can work out a rough volume, then take 85% of that volume to get a bit closer to the actual volume (looks like there is damping material and a large brace).

2. Start looking at 6.5" drivers that have a VAS that is greater than the volume of the box (shouldn't be too hard).

3. download winisd (or unibox if you have excell) put in the parameters of the 6.5" you have found and model it using the volume of the box you came up with in step 1 (try both sealed and vented). (also try using the programs optimal value and see how different the curve/volume is.

4. Make a decision whether you want to make the box ported or sealed (sealed is I would say much more likely to get right if you are using an existing box, unless you are lucky and the speaker and box turn out to be a good fit). If ported you will need to find some PVC pipe (or carboard tube) that will fit into the 3" diameter hole in the back, and work out the length for correct tuning (you can play with the modeling program to determine this). If you decide sealed then you just need to find a way to plug up the hole, and it will be a lot easier!

5. Once you have settled on a woofer, you'll need to work out roughly what freq you want to cross to the tweeter and then go about choosing a tweeter that is suitable. I'd suggest listening to some speakers that use metal dome tweeters as well as some that use textile dome tweeters (I don't think any ribbons will fit in that hole :) )..... People tend to have very different taste when it comes to tweeters, but it is often divided into the metal vs textile dome category which is why I suggest listening to both.
Note that when choosing the woofer you should also be considering this, however most 6.5" woofers should be able to handle at least up to 2.5Khz (bit of a gross generalisation but .....)

6. you will need to design your crossover. Can't really help here other than say do lots of reading.

Hope that helps.

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.