Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2014, 03:42 AM   #41
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenoholic Anonymus View Post
It's purpose is to get the timealignment ok.
Unfortunately it won't.

GM
Old 6th February 2014, 05:28 AM   #42
DrBoar is offline DrBoar  Sweden
diyAudio Member

The CC distance of drivers has some "interesting" features. The physical distances are what they are, pretty simple. However as soon as driver has anyhing but ruler flat response the phase starts to shift, phasing is timing and timing is the same as "distansing". So due to this the acoustic center will shift especially near the high pass frequency of the driver or horn.
Old 6th February 2014, 05:28 AM   #43
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
..Klipsch La Scala is a good starting point for 3-way horns..

western electric 15A "small" SATO-Horn JBL 2420 Klipsch La Scala FOSTEX FT65H - YouTube
Old 6th February 2014, 06:13 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

I know the time alignment will still be a problem if i just align voice coils. Will make a "rig" for the mid / tweeter to allow movement <-> to improve my luck getting it right. At least the woofer and mid will not be a foot+ off. Just trying to improve my chances to get some decent sound out of this speaker with the 1/3 driver backwards on the enclosure trick. This (horns) is new territory for me, see it as a beginners way of improving luck. Chosing easy to handle drivers, lots of extra bandwidth around the x-over frequencies hopefully will help me a bit to get it right.

Beautifull Sato

Last edited by Phenoholic Anonymus; 6th February 2014 at 06:27 AM.
Old 6th February 2014, 01:48 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have used variovents in very small sattelites. First time i see it in a backchamber for a horn. For me it is new. Although not usable in a Back Loaded Horn.

A lot of the old German fullrange speakers have "socks" on the backside. Could be the same thing. Lol, i thought these where to keep the mice from eating the papercone.
Why not? BLHs have a filter chamber, no chamber is a pipe horn, though an offset driver one creates a crude filter chamber between the driver and horn throat. Critters go right through any mesh covers typically used to damp drivers by altering its Qms/Qts and one reason why the pioneers wound up using steel wool in their aperiodically loaded compression drivers.

GM
Old 6th February 2014, 02:52 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

That's an interesting take, seeing the 1/3 length of the horn as a filter chamber or volume before the horn starts. Will try this in Aj-horn to see if computers says yes. I have only heard of steelwool in relation to closed box speakers. Strange story about temperature is what i remember from it. Will google the steel wool in compression drivers. Interesting.
Old 6th February 2014, 04:17 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

It's a complex resonator in that there's the whole horn's 1/4 WL fundamental and 1/2 WL horn pipe harmonics as well as the open horn pipe fundamental/resonances of the throat/woofer 'stub'. Ditto when theres a vent.

Don't know of any docs WRT the steel wool tweak unless it's in the patent, so curious what you may find, I learned it from an EE that had apprenticed at Bell Labs/W.E. during the early days of its cinema sound installs development.

GM
Old 6th February 2014, 04:23 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Did not simulate the 1/3 horn part as a volume yet. My guess is Aj-horn wil spit out a big dip at the classical 150 Hz-ish BLH problemfrequency.

Indeed no results Googling the steelwool I would not mind knowing a bit more about it.
Old 6th February 2014, 04:44 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Indeed no results Googling the steelwool I would not mind knowing a bit more about it.
Here you go:
Attached Images
File Type: png Steel Wool.png (195.6 KB, 50 views)
Old 6th February 2014, 05:17 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

The Oberton 8M250 simulated with the 1/3 of the line as backchamber volume. Linelength 1.54 meter instead of 2.30. Troath 112 cm2 instead of 74 cm2. Aj-Horn thinks 1/3 placement driver, is sort of an horn. Blackline is with the 1/3 as volume.

Click the image to open in full size.

Otoh it maybe a giant mousetrap.

Last edited by Phenoholic Anonymus; 6th February 2014 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Mixed up with and without the LCR notch

Hide this!Advertise here!