Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Altec 406 - 8Y
Altec 406 - 8Y
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2017, 11:32 PM   #41
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

I wouldn't, 13-1600 Hz is considered the 414's upper limit and these begin at 1800 Hz and 'want' much higher to use at 4 kHz-up.

Now got to find Bob's cab dims........

GM
Old 23rd September 2017, 02:21 AM   #42
diyAudio Member

OK, finally! Since size isn't an issue and your amp's 0.8 ohms output impedance + 0.5 ohms for wiring, etc., bumped Qts up an audible amount I increased it bit [~7.6 ft^3 gross] to get my preferred 30" wide [o.d.] baffle:

H = 58.5"
W = 28.5"
D = 7.875"
driver offset = 24.56" [~34.69" from floor]
vent offset = 49.125"
vent = 4" dia. x 0.75" hole or 1.75" x 7.187" slot

Recommend vertically offsetting the driver, vent at some acoustic or golden ratio to average out the baffle's width eigenmodes a bit, which will require mirror image baffles.

All dims inside [i.d.].

Recommend 18-19 mm BB, apple, bamboo, marine grade plywood or similar high MOE panel [> ~1.8 mil psi].

Any bracing needs to minimize vertical air restriction, so ideally tie all six sides together and brace/support the woofer. Personally just use board scraps and/or cheap closet rod dowels to tie it all together with one acting as the driver brace/support to mimic this or similar, though all the holes can be just a few huge freeform cutouts [pg. 4]: http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/pensi...set-100711.pdf

Damp one side [one closest to driver if offset], top, back with 1" acoustic fiberglass insulation [OC703] or similar at least down to just above the vent to start.

GM
Old 23rd September 2017, 03:58 AM   #43
fred76 is offline fred76  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Greets!

I wouldn't, 13-1600 Hz is considered the 414's upper limit and these begin at 1800 Hz and 'want' much higher to use at 4 kHz-up.

Now got to find Bob's cab dims........

GM
Thanks GM...

Beyma TPL-150 ribbons could work, but considering their price, I think it's still best to stick with compression driver + horn up top. Thanks again!
Old 23rd September 2017, 04:51 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

You're welcome! Right, no need to 'fix what ain't broke'!

GM

Altec 406 - 8YHide this!Advertise here!