Speaker for Guitar Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm thinking of building a Velleman K8011 (90Watt tube amp) as the base for a guitar/bass practice amp. I'm trying to decide on speakers for the project, I have found some specific to the application at http://www.usspeaker.com/guitar-bass-1.htm but I'm wondering if I can use "normal" speakers, or more to the point if anyone else has used normal speakers with success.

I'm looking to use the design for both Bass and Guitar, and would not mind a design that used different size speakers (say a 12 inch woofer and 4 x 6 inch woffers, or even just 4 drivers).

I guess I would like to have a tower of 6-8 inch drivers, say 4, and don't mind if the enclosure is closed, vented or open baffle (preffered since I never do this one before). But if I need a big speaker to provide the bass then so be it.

I guess ideal would be, in the case of drivers of differing size, would be speakers that madisound could do a LEAP crossover design for...but somehow I would rather not deal with such complexities...though some electronic circuit that could help manage the response of the chosen driver might be an idea?

If anyone has some experience in the area your thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks, Tim.

I seriously advise against using a hifi valve amplifier for
guitar, its possible with bass but not a good idea.

Copy a classic valve guitar amplifier.

Don't even think of using hi-fi drivers for guitar.
A good choice can work with bass.

Open back cabs are popular for guitar but not bass.

As a bass player I do have a very old 12 watt Traynor with
a lightwieght Alnico paper cone 15" sealed box bass driver.
Sounds nice, but not particular loud, does a very reasonable
impression of a Marshall amplifier and sealed 4x12 for practise.

:) sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.