Speaker for Guitar Amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2003, 11:10 AM   #1
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Melbourne
Default Speaker for Guitar Amp


I'm thinking of building a Velleman K8011 (90Watt tube amp) as the base for a guitar/bass practice amp. I'm trying to decide on speakers for the project, I have found some specific to the application at http://www.usspeaker.com/guitar-bass-1.htm but I'm wondering if I can use "normal" speakers, or more to the point if anyone else has used normal speakers with success.

I'm looking to use the design for both Bass and Guitar, and would not mind a design that used different size speakers (say a 12 inch woofer and 4 x 6 inch woffers, or even just 4 drivers).

I guess I would like to have a tower of 6-8 inch drivers, say 4, and don't mind if the enclosure is closed, vented or open baffle (preffered since I never do this one before). But if I need a big speaker to provide the bass then so be it.

I guess ideal would be, in the case of drivers of differing size, would be speakers that madisound could do a LEAP crossover design for...but somehow I would rather not deal with such complexities...though some electronic circuit that could help manage the response of the chosen driver might be an idea?

If anyone has some experience in the area your thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks, Tim.
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2003, 12:02 PM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member RIP
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brighton UK
I seriously advise against using a hifi valve amplifier for
guitar, its possible with bass but not a good idea.

Copy a classic valve guitar amplifier.

Don't even think of using hi-fi drivers for guitar.
A good choice can work with bass.

Open back cabs are popular for guitar but not bass.

As a bass player I do have a very old 12 watt Traynor with
a lightwieght Alnico paper cone 15" sealed box bass driver.
Sounds nice, but not particular loud, does a very reasonable
impression of a Marshall amplifier and sealed 4x12 for practise.

  Reply With Quote


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suggestions for Guitar amp speaker ? Speaker Dude Instruments and Amps 4 4th December 2008 11:46 AM
Guitar Amp Speaker Cabinet dsavitsk Instruments and Amps 5 28th April 2007 09:42 PM
Guitar speaker cabinets Polo786 Multi-Way 1 25th July 2006 03:56 PM
What Speaker(s) i need for Guitar Amp? Morbid Multi-Way 11 29th June 2004 03:29 PM
Guitar Cab vs. PA speaker guitargully Multi-Way 10 13th February 2004 12:07 PM

New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:51 AM.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2017 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2