AE Dipole18 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2014, 06:24 AM   #1
tuyen is offline tuyen  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to tuyen
Default AE Dipole18

Hi DIYas,

Am hoping to find (or be directed to) some advice/help with possible ideas of how to go about implementing 2 pairs of AE Dipole18 drivers I have coming, in my system.

My idea so far was to build some sort of baffle and have 2 woofers on each channel. Run them to 300hz and roll them off with an inductor. They would be powered by a strong class D or class AB power amp.

Above 300hz I will roll in my 'mid-low' horn with an appropriate capacitor (also have mid-high and tweeter channel above the mid-low). The horns will be powered by a low powered SET amp that has attenuation control so I can adjust the volume so it seems balanced with the OB bass channel.

If only life was that simple right?....

As I read into OB bass, I'm reading about baffle roll off and ways to compensate for it with DSP etc.

If I wire up the woofers in OB like I mentioned above, I will surely not get a decent response down low to where the driver is capable of?

Anyone with experience with AE Dipole series drivers and managed 'successfully' pair it with a horn channel above? DSP or passive?

Thanks in advance,
Tuyen
Old 10th January 2014, 07:30 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Stolen from HTGuide post (http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...ff-axis-curves)

AE Dipole15 off axis curves
All curves smoothed to 1/12 octave. 0 - 60 degrees in 10 degree increments. Taken at 6 and then 12 inches. No EQ or Xover in place. Sweep from 20Hz to 10,000KHz.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Pretty decent response with no eq?
Old 11th January 2014, 10:47 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Is my question too open-ended to answer or is it just people don't have experience with this particular driver?

Anyone using the AE dipole 18 and able to please share how they have it setup?
Old 11th January 2014, 12:27 PM   #4
NiToNi is offline NiToNi  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I got a pair of these drivers for an OB project (that may not happen now).

I think running these up to 300 Hz to meet with a horn may not be ideal. The woofers are large (18") with relatively high Mms and their magnet is relatively weak (low Bl, high Qts).

A better idea would be to use these for the lowest octaves (from 25-30 Hz to 60-90Hz depending on experimentation taste) in an H-frame, preferably separate from the main baffles (for flexibility in placement and decoupling of vibrations), and then use a separate low-Qts woofer in the midbass (from 60-90 Hz to 300 Hz) to meet up with your horn.

This is what I was going to do. Candidate midbass woofers included AE LO15, Supravox 400 EXC or 400-2000, GPA 416 or 515, Beyma 12P80Nd or 15P80Nd etc.

Check out Greg Begland's design, he did the same thing - going from a Dipole15 to a high-Qts B&C for the same passband.
Old 11th January 2014, 09:56 PM   #5
56oval is offline 56oval  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Tuyen

There's a number of us in Vic using AE's .
Paul Spencer ,Roger (Antripodean on sna ) ,myself have a number of projects happening .
Roger was working out on OB for another Melbourne-ite using a pair of 15's per channel .I think that person put a bid in a 2 pairs of AE18's that came up for sale .
I think Duc ( lovetube on sna ) is doing an OB using the AE18's .
Maybe ask a couple of those guys .

Cheers
Old 11th January 2014, 11:58 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi NiToNi, that was my concern too. When you mean not ideal, do you mean due to the drivers being too 'slow' to keep up with the horn? Thus, resolution/coherency will suffer compared to if a dedicated 'faster' woofer was used for mid-bass?

I did pose the first question on the AE forums, and John's response was:

"Up to 300hz, it is mostly about displacement. The Dipole18's are clean up to 2KHz, so 300hz is no problem. "

I currently am using an Azurahorn design 50hz folded front loaded bass horn paired with a Goto Unit woofer. It plays down to 50s and works well with the mid-low horn, but due to insufficient bracing and thickness, it resonates a lot at high spl. Hence, I have taken it out of the system and am currently working to sort that out. It's made to play up to 300hz.

I was hoping I could simply replace the bass horn temporarily with the AE dipole18's in OB and get nice results, but may not be the case after reading more into specs and considerations when using this type of driver.

Ultimately, my thinking is that using the 4x AE Dipole18 up to 60hz or so, and then let the bass horn run between 60-300hz. This will further help reduce the reduce possible resonance from the bass horn. Does start getting complicated and taking lots of room estate!

Guess it may be just a case of try it and see, since I already have the drivers on the way. Will be sure to report back after I get it going.
Old 12th January 2014, 02:24 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Mal,

Yeah, I picked up the 2 pairs of AE Dipole18 from a friend in Melbourne. I believe Duc was going to assist with building an OB for my friend but he has decided to abandon his whole active multiway GOTO horn system (which included the AE dipole woofers for bass) and looking to go for more 'simple' setup (giant panels + a pair of big monoblocks).
Old 12th January 2014, 02:56 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuyen View Post
If I wire up the woofers in OB like I mentioned above, I will surely not get a decent response down low to where the driver is capable of?

Tuyen
I wouldn't count on this being the case. Running 2 18" drivers per side gives you ALLOT of cone area. I don't know what the room or baffle configuration of your application is but having that much cone area for the bass is a very good start. Before I bought any DSP gear or EQ equipment I would model a decent sized test baffle and try out a few configurations. Take a few measurements. You may be surprised at what that much cone area can do even without DSP.

Matthew
Old 12th January 2014, 03:14 AM   #9
56oval is offline 56oval  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuyen View Post
Hi Mal,

Yeah, I picked up the 2 pairs of AE Dipole18 from a friend in Melbourne. I believe Duc was going to assist with building an OB for my friend but he has decided to abandon his whole active multiway GOTO horn system (which included the AE dipole woofers for bass) and looking to go for more 'simple' setup (giant panels + a pair of big monoblocks).
Small world .
How big are the panels .
I don't understand your reference to slow bass not keeping up to the horn can you add to that .

Cheers
Old 12th January 2014, 10:45 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

They are the big models from Soundlab. Not sure exactly how big they are.

Well, I'm not exactly sure what I mean by slow bass either, hence why I put a question mark at the end of that sentence. But my thinking is that due to the driver have a relatively high moving mass and magnet is relatively weak (low Bl, high Qts), it will not have the same speed/resolution/clarity as say a TD15M which has a lower moving mass, etc. Thus maybe it won't pair as coherently/seamlessly.... thoughts?

Hide this!Advertise here!