Blown crossover cap - can't find direct replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry for busting in here with a noob post like this, but I'm hoping you guys can help me out here. I've popped a cap in one of my crossovers from my Infinity IL50 towers, and I cannot find a direct replacement:

Brand: Elytone
Type: Aluminum Electrolytic Radial
Capacitance: 2.4uf
Voltage: 100v
Tolerance +/- 10%

I'm not looking to improve performance beyond OEM, but the problem is still that I cannot find a 2.4uf aluminum electrolytic cap anywhere in any voltage at all. Mouser, digikey, google, etc all turned up either 2.2uf or 2.7uf. Is going to a 2.2uf or 2.7uf cap going to audibly change the way the speakers sound? I understand I will also likely need to recap that other channel for consistency's sake, and that's fine. This is the C4 cap in the attached schematic.

Attachments

• IL50CN.jpg
    IL50CN.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 118
Parallel a 2.2uF capacitor with a 0.22uF cap and that should be close enough. Film capacitors may be fine for this location.

I considered running two in parallel, but the caps are radials and pcb mounted. If I ran two axials shoved in the holes, would the additional length of the leads present any more resistance to cause an audible difference? I attached a couple pics of the crossover network for reference.

KatieandDad said:
2 x 4.7uF back to back would be close enough too.

By back to back you mean in series with one reverse in polarity right? I'm guessing that halves the capacitance of one of them? Still faced with the packaging issues though.

Attachments

• IMG_20140108_121050[1].jpg
    IMG_20140108_121050[1].jpg
    573.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20140108_121040[1].jpg
    IMG_20140108_121040[1].jpg
    519 KB · Views: 97
Why did the cap "pop?"

An overly boisterous 30th birthday party :D

But seriously, these speakers have a lot of hard hours on them. The party I think just broke the camel's back. I picked them up second hand 10 years ago and had them through college so they were cranked, often. The caps didn't leak, but the top is certainly bulged and it's come up off the pcb.

Suprised they even used an electrolytic for a small value like that.
In the past Infinity used Wondercaps for up to 10 mfd, and Solens for up to 100 mfd or so.
They tended to only use the NP electrolytics in the large 150 mfd + caps.
Solen does show a 2.4 mfd fastcap, that should do the trick nicely for you, if it isn't already too late.

Item: PA240
Manufacturer: SOLEN
Reference: PA240
Summary: 2.4mfd 250v, 0.0001ohms DF, 14mm D x 27mm L
Retail price: 2.82$CAD EACH

Btw, can you post a pic of your crossover?

Last edited:
Suprised they even used an electrolytic for a small value like that.
In the past Infinity used Wondercaps for up to 10 mfd, and Solens for up to 100 mfd or so.
They tended to only use the NP electrolytics in the large 150 mfd + caps.
Solen does show a 2.4 mfd fastcap, that should do the trick nicely for you, if it isn't already too late.
Btw, can you post a pic of your crossover?

These are clearly cheap chinese made crossovers. I'm not sure when these speakers were made (late 90's) but it was past infinity's true glory days. I posted some pictures a few posts back.

airtower,

bigger cap = more spl at XO, shifting to the left
smaller cap= less spl at XO, shifting to the right

Great to know, thanks!

Just wanted to follow up, a couple cheap 2.2uf 100v caps got me back in business with no audible change to the speaker's characteristic...in case anyone googles this thread and it comes up. The replacement caps were physically MUCH smaller than the old ones. I was very skeptical, but they seem to work ok. I guess technology's come a long way in 15 years.

Now I want to recap the whole board, but that's for another day. Thanks for everyone's help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.