Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone have a system setup whether it be HT or Music Only with a complete 100% lack os Sibilance.Is there such a thing?The reason for my asking is no matter where I go and listen to other speakers and systems it seems there is a presence of sibilance to some degree whether it be little or extreme.Since I am trying to cure a sibilance problem I am wondering if the amount of sibilance I am experencing is normal as it is not that pronounced or ear shattering.Since I am looking for the presence of sibilance it is more noticiable to me.Any thoughts appreciated.

opus007 said:
Does anyone have a system setup whether it be HT or Music Only with a complete 100% lack os Sibilance.Is there such a thing?The reason for my asking is no matter where I go and listen to other speakers and systems it seems there is a presence of sibilance to some degree whether it be little or extreme.Since I am trying to cure a sibilance problem I am wondering if the amount of sibilance I am experencing is normal as it is not that pronounced or ear shattering.Since I am looking for the presence of sibilance it is more noticiable to me.Any thoughts appreciated.
Not to be rude, but, have you had your ears checked lately? They might be the real problem. I know my grandfather had problems with sibilance as he aged.

I don't hear sibilance in my current or former speakers

But it does seem to be hard to find commercial speakers that aren't a little bright and prone to it. Ditto for many display and listening rooms.

I had no problems with the B&W 801 series III matrix, Madisound Scan-Speak solist kits, and my current Azurahorns with FE206E drivers.

Our hearing is not linear - meaning that if we charted true flat output over the range as we heard it - the result would not be a straight line. Perhaps you are a little more sensitive in a particular region that is causing this phenomena.

FWIW, in recent years as I have gotten older and lost more of the higher ranges, I seem to be hyper critical of distortion in the ranges that I can hear.

regards

Ken L

I would imagine that all systems will suffer from a varying degree of sibilance, it being a naturally occouring effect et al.

If you really want to fight it - you could try a compressor/limiter sidechained to a graphic equaliser. You can then set the equaliser to trigger the limiter at the midrange freqs that produce the annoying sibilance.

Its a bit like bolting the door after the horse has gone, but I would find it an acceptable solution for PA work. For hifi you might argue that perhaps a redesign of sorts would be necessary if sibilance was an issue.

Re: I don't hear sibilance in my current or former speakers

Ken L said:

FWIW, in recent years as I have gotten older and lost more of the higher ranges, I seem to be hyper critical of distortion in the ranges that I can hear.

regards

Ken L

heh, sounds like me. It could be more a case of becoming more attuned to what really makes good sound as we age and experience a broarder range speaker types.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.