Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2014, 10:48 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tannoy 315 driver mounting - flush or recessed

I've recently bought a pair of Tannoy Devons and the HPD315 drivers are in perfect condition, having been recently reconed. The sound of these is wonderfully present and detailed, but I really need more richness and bass extension. I understand the divers will work even better in larger cabinets and I'm hoping that by more than doubling the enclosure volume to around 100L will improve the bass as I want.

I'm going to build a pair of new cabinets (properly braced, damped and tuned). The question is should I recess the driver such that it's flush with the baffle (as per the Devons) or bolt it straight onto the baffle as per some of the Tannoy studio monitors (LRM/SRM etc)? And why?

Secondly, is it better to have the baffle better recessed into the cabinet to leave space for a grille (like the Devons), or should it be completely flat, again like the monitors, and have the grill deep enough to fit over the drivers.

I've heard talk of "diffraction effects" of a cabinet edge on a baffle and "baffle step correction" in the crossover, but I don't really understand the audible effect of either of these.

Opinions from folks that understand these points would be of grateful interest.

Pete.
Old 2nd January 2014, 01:28 PM   #2
fpitas is offline fpitas  United States
diyAudio Member

A primer on baffle step correction:

Baffle Step Compensation
Old 2nd January 2014, 01:35 PM   #3
fpitas is offline fpitas  United States
diyAudio Member

A baffle diffraction simulator:

Home of the Edge
Old 2nd January 2014, 02:28 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Edge diffraction is a non-issue on Tannoy DCs as the treble dispersion is 90deg and thus it never gets close to any box edge to be diffracted.

You might want to add some baffle step correction but to my ears Tannoys sound best without and placed right next to the wall. As such a wide and shallow box might be preferable to a narrow and deep one.
Also the output of AlNiCo Tannoys like yours is in phase as it is. You may lose that feature if you add baffle step compensation to the xover.

If you rebate the driver or not is purely cosmetic.
Old 2nd January 2014, 02:50 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Charles, Francis, thank you very much for the speedy reponse. I read the linked articles in full - what a minefield! I think there are just too many variables to be able to calculate any sort of compensation.

I'm thinking that since my crossovers (Tannoy original) have the HF roll-off controls, I can probably make any adjustment there if it proves to be needed.

Regarding the box dimensions, I'm actually planning to make them taller and deeper so as to maintain domestic acceptability. I know Tannoy cabinets are traditionally wide and shallow, but this does make them imposing behemoths. To simply copy Tannoy Cheviot cabinets for example, would never do - I'd not be allowed to put them in the lounge. I can't see that a deeper, taller cabinet would be that detrimental to the sound balance.

As for recessing the drivers, I'll probably do this for neatness.

Thanks again for your help.

Pete.

Hide this!Advertise here!