Midbass horn - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2013, 03:59 AM   #1
unaHm is offline unaHm  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Midbass horn

Dear all,

So, I've been slowly putting together my first compression driver-based sound system:

* 2x Bill Fitzmaurice T18 subs (~25Hz-200Hz)
* 2x Pyle PDS521 2" mid/tweeter compression drivers (supposedly 500Hz-20kHz, although the horn I have for them at the moment is 1kHz)

I'm therefore missing that all-important 200Hz-1kHz range. I was thinking of using:

1 3/8 X 18 Thread 40W Rms Midrange Driver Threaded | 54-050 (54050) | Distributed By MCM

But would they work?

I'm not afraid to try my hand at making custom horns for either of the compression drivers, but I understand that distortion can become blaringly obvious if the drivers are pushed too low in their range.

I've also only really seen reviews on that driver for talkbox use, so I also question whether it is useful for hi-fi/HT/studio monitoring.

My uncertainty leads me back to the forum, to see what the gurus have to say!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated on this, so I offer my thanks in advance!

Dan
Old 28th December 2013, 04:55 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
We are discussing horns on another thread..

Hope you have lots of room to spare, they can get rather large. This one is the SATO horn, built by a gentleman from Japan, hence the name. His low end cutoff is 280 Hz. 200 hz will be another factor larger.

__________________________________________________ ______Rick........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SATO horn1.jpg (218.9 KB, 1669 views)
File Type: jpg SATO horn2.jpg (123.0 KB, 1603 views)
File Type: jpeg SATO horn3.jpeg (6.1 KB, 1574 views)
Old 28th December 2013, 10:20 AM   #3
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

unaHm,

I see you're still struggling with driver choice.

I am not sure a $24 driver will get you where you want.
No meaurements, no reliable driver data, no brand name...

Think you need a cone mid driver.

Pyle looks better altough don't be surprised if there will
be lack of upper treble.

And for the last please count me out of the guru crowd.

Wish you luck!
Old 29th December 2013, 03:05 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Rick and Lojzek - thanks for your information!

I think I'm insane enough to try a SATO using cardboard :-)

I agree, the drivers I have are definitely lower budget ones, but I didn't want to initially spend much on my first compression driver-based horn experiment. I suppose what I could do with what I have is create a proof of concept, and then (when I can afford it), replace the drivers with more suitable ones.

The forward-firing horn idea with a cone (or compression) driver also looks like a good one that I'd be interested in trying out. The rooms I have aren't that large, but big enough to stuff these designs into the corners!

If there are any drivers that are available (either brand new or on eBay/craigslist) that might be suitable, please let me know! I'll look too, but I don't have much experience with which parameters to look for.

Thanks again!

Dan
Old 29th December 2013, 03:20 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

If you are already going to be sticking the horns in corners, then these might work well for you. 10" horn loaded: 200hz to 2khz.

AudioRoundTable.com: Pi Speakers => Midrange Horn
Old 29th December 2013, 05:21 AM   #6
3GGG is offline 3GGG  Australia
diyAudio Member

Look at Radian 850pb drivers as well as B&C DCM 50. They are said to go as low as any drivers excluding GOTO Ale
Old 29th December 2013, 08:51 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

If ya want to use a woofer, there are some b&c 12" drivers with Fs around 54hz and qts .18, that'll horn load to 500hz anyway (pretty high for a 12) and maybe sag a bit at 1khz.

I've been thinking of these as a double 12, but as a big midbass horn approaching 100hz with around 5ft2 mouth on the floor, and crossing at 750hz.

Norman
Old 29th December 2013, 07:06 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the additional viewpoints!

I like both ideas in terms of using a 'high bass' compression driver, or a 10/12" speaker in a horn. I think because the compression driver approach is so new to me, I'd be tempted to take that route (for now).

I've heard a couple of demos of the Goto horn (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUKqUr8sIUc for example), but I can only imagine that the drivers are hideously expensive, rare, or both!

Am I correct in that assumption?

I'll also keep searching on the Radian and B&C drivers.

I also suppose that given their price it might be worth trying out those no-name brand drivers...you never know, they may end up being like the 69 cent woofers! ;-)
Old 30th December 2013, 12:15 AM   #9
3GGG is offline 3GGG  Australia
diyAudio Member

There are also some ex pro audio JBL drivers which are good down to 300HZ or so in a properly designed horn. Plenty of info online..
Old 30th December 2013, 03:36 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I've been looking at the JBL "ex" Pro audio compression drivers on the web, and there are lots of them...unfortunately way beyond my budget at the moment!

I've also found a spec sheet for those compression drivers mentioned earlier:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/conten...ets/54-050.pdf

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the scale of the frequency response graph only shows a 50db range! Er, wow! If that IS the case, why would they bother?!

My other thought was to look for some old PA speakers (or enclosures that may have been used in cinemas) that may be damaged, but still contain useful drivers (i.e. "people don't know what they're selling"). Any recommendations on what I should look for?

Hide this!Advertise here!