Midbass horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What kind of low freq. response can I expect if have space for 36" x 42" ( 1500 sq inch) horn mouth below my mids?
As far as depth, I can make the horn curved up behind the mid and use DSP delay. Any good designs that are similar?
LF cutoff is primarily a function of horn length, not mouth size.
There are many tapped horn designs that could go as low as 10 Hz with mouth exit dimensions less than 1500 square inch. DTS 10, Gjallerhorn, Othorn, Keystone Sub, Tham 15, Tham 12, cover a Fc range from around 10 to 50 Hz respectively.

The front loaded LabHorn has a frontal area of 1012.5", it goes down to around 32 Hz, but has more of a rising upper response than is typical of tapped horns.

FLH or TH designs can be partially "unfolded" to fit your particular space.

Art

Art,

I am seriously considering building (with professional help) a no compromise midbass channel to cover 60-220Hz. Important: I will use 6db/oct crossover to transition to my midrange horn.
I'm considering either folded horn or curved horn like this:
http://www.goodsoundclub.com/UserImages/AC_spiral_render2.png

I believe it makes a lot of sense not only to make a true 60hz horn (I have the room for it) but have clean reproduction above the 220Hz region with no nastiness in the response so that the transition to mid horn is clean and gradual, does not need eq to clean up.
Am looking for recommendations.
Thank you.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Art,

I am seriously considering building (with professional help) a no compromise midbass channel to cover 60-220Hz. Important: I will use 6db/oct crossover to transition to my midrange horn.
I'm considering either folded horn or curved horn like this:
http://www.goodsoundclub.com/UserImages/AC_spiral_render2.png

I believe it makes a lot of sense not only to make a true 60hz horn (I have the room for it) but have clean reproduction above the 220Hz region with no nastiness in the response so that the transition to mid horn is clean and gradual, does not need eq to clean up.
Am looking for recommendations.
Thank you.

What will you do for the VERY deep bass below 60Hz? You will need to be able to move quite a bit of air in order to integrate with horn loaded mid bass.
ALSO, I would agree: Don't commit to 6db/oct crossovers just because they are in vogue. Listen and decide. 12 or 18 should/might be much better.

Hmm, a good general rule-of-thumb is to have at least a couple of octaves of 'flat enough' BW on either side of a 1st order XO to get a good summation, i.e. an in-room ~flat response from ~15-880 Hz, which will require careful room/horn design planning along with significant digital delay to get the correct time/phase close enough for a 'no compromise' horn system; or is this merely a ~ 'one note' 'filler' horn centered at ~114.9 Hz to bridge a gap between the mids and bass systems?

GM

compromises - one could pack a pretty good ported box into the bulk of a small midbass horn and if desired, run that box as assisted 6th order. I like Karlson a lot for midbass. How about multiple woofers on open baffle? Eminator 1508's are $15.50 each shipped.

Community 111913 12" on folded C path type 7 cubic foot horn in-cluttered
room and not far from a corner

6K2J6HN.gif

2220H - 400sq.in. mouth, 80sq.in. throat - 20.5" path - outdoors
that distortion shown was for the K43 type woofer - 2220 ran 10dB higher
VvIda0y.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.