Midbass horn - Page 44 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2014, 05:06 PM   #431
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

This has been my experience also until the baffle gets beyond ~42" H x ~50" W where a pair typically starts becoming a virtual offset ~30-35 Hz sound wall depending on room size.

GM
Old 5th February 2014, 05:59 PM   #432
Ivo is offline Ivo  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
What most here want is an all inclusive 'Horn Design for Dummies', which probably will never happen unless someone pieces one together from all the info that's been published over the decades.
Hi GM, it's guys like you that help a lot people get started and also help them FAR along the way. Just wanted to say that.
Old 5th February 2014, 09:09 PM   #433
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

Thanks for the 'attaboy' and you're welcome!

GM
Old 6th February 2014, 12:06 AM   #434
diyAudio Member

yup, not all of us need to reinvent the wheel.
But I admit, I sometimes have to go against the grain and see for my self.
Part of this hobby is the learning, and figuring stuff out later.

I need to thank everyone for their experience.

Without their input, it would otherwise cost a tremendous amount of time, effort, and money.

Norman
Old 6th February 2014, 12:21 AM   #435
diyAudio Member

Amen!
Old 6th February 2014, 07:48 PM   #436
unaHm is offline unaHm  United States
diyAudio Member

I want to extend my thanks to all of the advice that has been explained in this thread...thanks gentlemen!

Sorry I've not responded to the thread for a couple of days. Yesterday my wife had a baby, so we've been a bit pre-occupied

Art, thanks for the ideas with regards to 'using the walls'. I'm not sure how long the horn can be as the room I'm in isn't huge, but I like the rule of thumb with regards to a 30"x30" mouth. When I have a chance, I'll play a bit more with Bill's spreadsheet to see what values it spits out for horn length.

If I'd not been as scared by the Synergy horns before (and found Bill's design), I think I would have made his CoSynes. Still, I have a couple of good drivers, so we'll see how it goes!

Thanks again everyone!

Dan
Old 7th February 2014, 12:57 AM   #437
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
In typical domestic room sizes, a mouth of around 30 x 30 inches gives pattern control down low enough that further increase in size won't make much difference, as the modal response will tend to take over.
Ok. 30 x 30 inches would give me pattern control to about 305Hz, and at 90 degree dispersion, both horizontally and vertically, gives a horn depth in Bill's spreadsheet of about 11.4 inches.

Code:
	FILL IN Values that have GREEN background below (see photo):									(metric equiv):		
ThetaW =	90	[degrees], horizontal coverage angle (90)										
ThetaH = 	90	[degrees], vertical coverage angle (60)										
Fc =	305	[Hz], lowest frequency at which horizontal pattern control to be kept (385)										
td =	1.414	[inches], side of HF throat (square, needs shaping to round. For 1" driver use 0.707")								0.03591567183134	[meters]	
kk =	25306	[Hz*deg*m], Keele's constant 25306 nom.										
ratw =	0.65	ratio of final horizontal first expansion width to overall horiz width, 0.6 to 0.7 (0.65)										
L12in =	1.5	[inches] synergy port distance from throat (adjust to get vals for HornResp Sim)								0.03810007620015	[meters]	
T =	0.465	[inches] board thickness -- USE MEASURED VALUE.								0.01181102362205	[meters]	

Overall Size (inside and outside horn):							Values to use in HornResp Simulation (for Synergy horns):					
width L=	30.246	[inches]	0.7682	[meters]		S1 =	10.13	[cm^2]				
height J =	30.246	[inches]	0.7682	[meters]		S2 =	116.70	[cm^2]		Con12 =	3.81	[cm]
depth M =	11.396	[inches]	0.2895	[meters]		S3 =	2493.60	[cm^2]		Con23=	19.57	[cm]
									S4 =	5902.01	[cm^2]		Con34 =	5.57	[cm]
Old 7th February 2014, 01:07 AM   #438
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unaHm View Post

Sorry I've not responded to the thread for a couple of days. Yesterday my wife had a baby, so we've been a bit pre-occupied

Dan
Understatement of the day!

Congrats!

Bill
Old 7th February 2014, 02:11 AM   #439
diyAudio Member

Haha, very true! It's wonderful being a Dad for the second time

Both of them seem to have really good hearing, so I want to make a system that turns them into audiophiles from a very early age
Old 7th February 2014, 02:37 AM   #440
winslow is offline winslow  United States
diyAudio Member

All of mine love music...too bad our current house doesn't have the room for a good proper horn system. I should buy a cheap class D amp and put my Edgarhorns in here and out of storage. Maybe when I don't have to buy diapers any longer I can do that.

And congrats on the new little one!

Hide this!Advertise here!