Two-way coaxial loudspeakers with molded waveguides

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some trouble with iPad when posting attachments...

image (1).jpg

image.jpg

I only have experience with a pair of 18 sound midbass drivers. They measure better than advertised. As far as the coaxial, usspeaker says it's a "outstanding sounding coaxial." I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Looking forward to how this project turns out. I have a pair of ciare coax's looking for a permanent home.

Some trouble with iPad when posting attachments...
View attachment 398026
Cute looking driver!

With the additional mid band gain your waveguide will provide (around 4 dB from 200-1000 Hz) the crossover will be "interesting".
Much easier to cross with DSP, as the upper midrange of the woofer has some pronounced frequency response peaks, and flattening out the mid range passively would require a lot of attenuation.

Art

Attachments

• 8CX400.png
    8CX400.png
    55.3 KB · Views: 316
Cute looking driver!

With the additional mid band gain your waveguide will provide (around 4 dB from 200-1000 Hz) the crossover will be "interesting".
Much easier to cross with DSP, as the upper midrange of the woofer has some pronounced frequency response peaks, and flattening out the mid range passively would require a lot of attenuation.

Art

Apparently it is much easier than expected at least according to augerpro:

DSP would make it easier though, or going hybrid with passive crossovers but using DSP to fix the global response.

Apparently it is much easier than expected at least according to augerpro:

DSP would make it easier though, or going hybrid with passive crossovers but using DSP to fix the global response.
Went through the 4 pages you linked regarding a different coax (B&C, the OP has an 18 Sound) and saw nothing as far as real world crossover suggestions, which even if there were, would not apply to a different pair of drivers in a wave guide compared to a front loaded box.

Erkki has done the relatively easy part (building the box) getting the crossover right passively is not at all easy with the response curves of the drivers used.

Went through the 4 pages you linked regarding a different coax (B&C, the OP has an 18 Sound) and saw nothing as far as real world crossover suggestions, which even if there were, would not apply to a different pair of drivers in a wave guide compared to a front loaded box.

Erkki has done the relatively easy part (building the box) getting the crossover right passively is not at all easy with the response curves of the drivers used.

You are right, I mixed up the names since they are quite similar.

That's a really wierd looking driver... does the tweeter fire through the rear of the woofer???
Certainly an interesting solution, can't say I'm a big fan of the concept but it could be counter-intuitive (i.e. work a lot better than expected!)

Not sure what you mean; that's a pretty typical, time-honored arrangement. Look at an Altec 604, or the Tannoy dual concentrics, for example. The 604 has a separate horn, but the Tannoys use the woofer cone as the high frequency horn.

but I admit, speakers are like therapy to me, so the longer it takes ... :D

btw, GroundSound have a new 2way DSP kit ... Ground Sound

Man's happiness is directly proportional to the number of his hobbies. ;) I have to check that DSP.

Edit: that DSP actually looks feasible and reasonably priced. I guess std version of the software would be OK because I already have measurement gear?

Last edited:
If you have access to DSP but still want passive xovers then one thing that should work ( when I get my xover-parts I can confirm if it does ) is to first use light global DSP to fix response and apply the crossover slopes you want to get the response you want.

Then measure the woofer and compression driver separately with and without the crossover slope. Measure impedance, then hook up some simulation software and play around with components until you get the raw driver response into the crossed driver response. Then you shouldn't have to worry about acoustical offset and such in the simulation software.

I've used this method to design an assymetric crossover in my dipole with the rear tweeter waveguided and crossed lower, I'll just have to hope it measures like expected in the end :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.