Purchasing wood and water. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th December 2003, 12:14 PM   #11
eStatic is offline eStatic  United States
diyAudio Member

Default kilowattski's cool!

Tim

The only thing I would add to kilowattski's post is that the cautious type would allow a year per inch of board thickness for the wood to acclimatize, or as us hopelessly nerdy types would say, reach equilibrium.

eStatic
Old 26th December 2003, 12:23 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Re: kilowattski's cool!

Quote:
Originally posted by eStatic
or as us hopelessly nerdy types would say, reach equilibrium.
The terminally neurotic among us would say it is asymptotic.
Old 26th December 2003, 01:51 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eStatic
The ball park range in cost is $60.00 to $300
eStatic
Wrong! just saw one for $1300.00

A picture of the one I use. Depth is limited to .75 inches, one side so you can scan up to 1.5 inches. But that's it. Killowattski doesn't mention it but the probe type can easily be fitted with long probes (a no brainer DIY project as I understand) to read to any depth, 'Course you gotta put holes (very tiny holes) in the wood. The ideal solution would be to win the lottery and get both types.

BTW this is advertised as an EMF not RF type. D'oh! Wrong again, there is no RF type.

eStatic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moisturemeter.jpg (13.9 KB, 258 views)
Old 27th December 2003, 03:36 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

You can easily enough find lumber dried to whatever the local climate is at cabient shops. I know we have purpleheart, spanish cedar, among a few others that have been sitting for years for the most part. Likewise most cabient shops will have exotic stock picked up through the years that will have been sitting for years.
Old 27th December 2003, 08:48 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Moses,

I live on Long Island where we have no Hardwood Dealers. We only have lumber yards. I refuse to purchase wood from Lowes or Home Depot. It is a 2 to 3 hour drive to Upstate New York to get decent Hard Wood. I am lucky enough to have a good lumber yard nearby where I have a good source of Cherry, Mahogany, Walnut, Oak or most any domestic hardwood. Their wood is not the driest which is why I always test it. I also pay through the nose because even though I can surface my own wood I am forced to buy S4S. Occasionally I do make a wood run upstate to buy a couple of hundred board foot of something but I do not have an abundance of room for storage. If someone is looking to start a business, you could make a fortune selling good unsurfaced hard wood here on Long Island. There really is no competition.
Old 27th December 2003, 08:54 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

eStatic,

Wagner happens to make some of the most expensive Moisture Meters available. I bought mine for a couple of hundred bucks at Woodcraft. I have the probe attachment but have not tried it yet. Yes, I also have heard that it is a no brainer to DIY your own probe, but I have not tried because I have had no reason to do so.
Old 27th December 2003, 09:37 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Perhaps then it's more of a locality issue. I'm afraid I'm only familiar with the midwest, but I do know that pretty much any cabient shop in the whole midwest will sell you hardwood. You really don't look to have much for storage though, as I look through your shop pictures, or any storage at all in your pictures. While we don't have Home Depots or Lowes here, we do have a similiar solution, Menards, to which I wouldn't by anything from either, low quality products matched by shitty hardwoods. On a side note, you have quite the nice little home shop, quite loaded too I must say. Kinda of cramped tho, makes me wonder how well one of those Laugna all in one tools works, especially for small shops.
Old 28th December 2003, 01:43 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hi kilowattski.

I like your attitude.

It would be interesting to me to know the exterior EMC there and the moisture content you want at dimensioning time. My moisture horizon is fairly limited.

Much thanks,

eStatic
Old 28th December 2003, 01:57 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kilowattski
eStatic,

Wagner happens to make some of the most expensive Moisture Meters available. I bought mine for a couple of hundred bucks at Woodcraft. I have the probe attachment but have not tried it yet. Yes, I also have heard that it is a no brainer to DIY your own probe, but I have not tried because I have had no reason to do so.
I'm I'm sorry, I seem to have a knack for expressing things badly. I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know these things. I was pointing it out because I didn't want to leave the impression that the Wagner could read more deeply than the Delmhorst. Our two posts together would have left that impression had I not brought that up. And that feature might have been important to someone reading these posts.

BTW I have not been able to log onto your site, but from what I've read of your statements I have real respect for you.

eStatic
Old 28th December 2003, 02:43 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

I did not take it that way at all. As a matter of fact I was jealous because I thought you purchased a Wagner. They are one of the best. Click on this link: www.woodworkersweb.com . It is up and running. BTW thank you for the compliment. It is refreshing to discuss this subject with someone who understands the importance of understanding how moisture content can affect hardwoods. Just a little about my background: I worked for my pop who was a cabinet maker while in college for electrical engineering. I have had my own woodshop for almost 20 years now but it is only a hobby for me. I mostly build furniture for my wife who is an interior designer and furniture designer. She would like me to spend more time with her in the shop but I enjoy DIY audio. I am looking forward to building some speakers but dislike working with MDF because of the formaldehyde laced dust involved. I always wear a dustmast and have the dust collection and air clleaners going full blast when working with it. I look forward to continuing our discussion.

Hide this!Advertise here!